The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

The Pan-American Championship Semi-finals kicked off today with the winner of each of the 12 sections advancing to the finals.

I'm in two sections (having finished 1st or tied for 1st in my two preliminary sections) and hope to advance from one of these two semi-finals. Hopefully I will manage to finish +3 in one of these sections and gain my IM title (if I have not managed to do so in one of my other tnmts). These tnmts are set up to last 600 days max, based on the time control).

In each of my sections, I am also facing a teammate from the ICCF's "Champions League" team tournament; we're team "Nemesis." SM2 #7 IM Denny Marbourg and S-6 #11 CCE Ferdinand Burmeister.

1575844351112.png
1575844403725.png

Last edited:
Sam makes chess seem complicated. I mean more complicated.

Do you lose and gain ranking based on matches? How does that work?
It's based on formula that looks at rating differences (higher rating is better). Here's an example of my last four games...

I'm currently 2393, making me higher rated than my opponent in the first three games, but lower rated (-22) in the last game. "We" is the expected % score (image if 100 games were played, as if doesn't make too much sense for a single game which will be 1-0, 1/2-1/2, or 0-1), followed by "W" which is the actual result. From the summary, for these for games, I was expected to score 2.2699 points and I scored 3 out of 4, resulting in a rating gain. The exact amount of the rating gain/loss depends on your rating giving you a co-efficient multiplier ("K") which is then multiplied by "W - We".

@bentheduck version: It's math magic!

1575849485361.png

I'm actually 2401 (R0 in the table summary) but the rating is not effective until Jan.01.2020 as Nov.30 was the cutover for the quarterly new rating calculations which become official on Jan/Apr/Jul/IOct.01. During the interim between the cuoff and publishing of official ratings updates, they continue to use the old rating (2393 in my case) for calculating results during the "calc" month.

Here's what a "full" rating period looks like (using me as an example). See how my rating changes partway through? Thankfully, it's all done auto-magically as we play our moves on a server rather than via snail mail. Many games still take 1.5-2 years even so.

1575850535137.png

It would seem that with pretty much unlimited time and Computer move analysis nearly all modern games will end that way.

Most games do end in draws, Rich. You really have to work hard and find and explore various options to provide your opponents with enough rope to hang themselves.

Back