The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Recovered from being down with a bad cold for 5 days, I though I would provide an update on a just completed tournament I played in.

Started on Jan.15.2018 to honour the memory of the world's oldest International Master, Canadian Zoltan Sarosy, who passed away on Jun.22.2017 at the age of 110, this tournament came to its conclusion on Jan.03.2020 as a resounding success for several of its Canadian participants. Zoltan earned his IM title at the age of 82 🕺, so there's still hope for all of us young'uns!

After two years of play, I finished tied for first (even after 2 tiebreaks were applied) and earned my first IM norm (2 are needed for the title). George Bukowski came in third after tiebreaks (almost a 3-way tie for first after 2 tiebreaks), earning his IM title after gaining his final norm. (Congrats, my friend, even though I know you will not read this!). Michael Dufour earned the CCM title for his fine result.

Only 11 games of the 105 played were decisive; 94 were draws.

1578533046260.png

Woohoo! Sam going for the Triple Crown of chess (gotta win your first match as an IM right? :p )!

00D47D8F-7652-4AB4-9C95-5A554CC345DD.gif

Strong work, Sam! Once I'm further along in my career I think I'll take up chess and competitive chess. It would be an honor if you metaphorically slapped my hand every time I tried to do an en passant just so I could say en passant out loud.

Google translate didn't help much but it sounds like something awesome is happening!

Happy Sunday morning, Cadre!

Even though I was already up and about, the local nuclear station thought it best to ensure I was up by sending a message to my wife's iPhone ....
1578838540216.png 1578838676387.png

Just now they clarified the situation ....
1578839452609.png

Whee! I'm not much of a mutant!

Last edited:
Indeed, Ben. I can picture some people (especially seniors) getting woken up by the blaring ( massage :ROFLMAO: ) message on their phone (it is an emergency alarm broadcast) early in the morning and potentially having panic attacks. I'm more of the mindset of your custom-title; if something REAL bad happens, there's not a lot I can do about it, especially living this close to the plant.

edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
Yeah, there's not a lot you can do if something goes catastrophic. It sure is what it is.

How do you seed people with so many draws? Seems like it would be difficult.
Good question

Generally it is:
Tiebreak-1: # wins
Tiebreak-2: Sonneborn–Berger (you get 100% of the points of the people you beat, 50% of the score of the people you draw, nothing for games you lose)
There generally is no tie-break-3.

Sometimes there is only a single tie-break. At the start of the tournament, the tnmt organizer identifies which tie-breaks will be used.

If cash prizes are involved, they are split amongst the tied players. If prizes are items (e.g. books), they are randomly drawn. If prizes are advancement to the next stage of a tournament (eg. to semi-finals or finals), all tied players advance.

Back