The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Back to the sweaty elliptical workout this morning and it was a good one. Quick shower and shave and the second load of laundry in in the washer while the first one is split between hang-dry and the dryer. Looks to be a good Sunday thanks to the overnight rain.

Jul.15 37C/Astra SP(1) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.16 37C/Astra SP(2) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.17 37C/Astra SP(3) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk

Spent close to two hours weeding lettuce patch #1 yesterday after pulling weeds from between the paving stones in the driveway and walkway. Figured that was more than enough and hoped my elbow/forearm didn't regress too badly. This morning, my arm is still tight but nowhere near what I feared, so it does look like I have finally managed to turn the corner on this thing.

A fairly early start (for being retired) to the busy day at 6:20am to fill up with gas as Costco before the line ups start. Then a coffee at home before sweating on the elliptical to an audio book for 30 mins, followed by a welcome shower'n'shave. Shortly after that, it's out to bring my sister-in-law to a downtown Toronto 4hr appt while my wife, another sister-in-law and I walk around, visit St Lawrence Market and the chill out in the Eaton Center and Yonge-Dundas Square (ladies had a soft-serve dip) until time to meet up with SIL+1 at 4pm and enjoy the Toronto rush-hour traffic drive home. Whee!

Another 6:20am rise and shine to get the garbage and recycling out before the trucks roll by. I don't put things out in the evening as I feel that raccoons and skunks should not get free meals, just as I don't. Plus I don't like being the janitor and cleaning up the road, sidewalk, and boulevard area. Apparently the neighbours across the street feel differently about this matter.

Jul.18 ASD2/Astra SP(1) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.19 ASD2/Astra SP(2) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.20 ASD2/Astra SP(3) .............. Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk

A nice post-workout shave this morning as the Astra SP finishes it service. Bridge club this afternoon, followed by Canada's opener -vs- Nigeria at 10:30pm ET in the Women's World Cup. Looks like I will need a nap after supper as my pre-game preparation!

Just heard some of the World Cup news this morning on the way to work! I guess the US will be looking to get their 4th Cup in a 3 win streak and record? That’s exciting!

Up late (for me!) until about 1am after watching the Canada-Nigeria goalless draw in the Women's World Cup. Canada's next game is Wednesday at 8am et vs The Republic of Ireland.

As a result of staying up, my rise and shine time was around 10am this morning. A late morning workout and noonish shave followed with two strawberries offsetting what would otherwise have been a pretty good shave, so I guess ... meh.

31C / 88F (I know, I know. It's hotter in MANY places and we've been much hotter here as well. Still..... ) so this means it was probably a good time to mow our lawns (front, back and side) with out old push-reel mower. Yup, I'm still holding out for end-of-season sales before getting a new powered one.

All done! *whew* My baseball hat is now soaked and a good dunk under the tap helped to cool me off.

As if 30-mins of sweating like crazy on the elliptical this morning and then mowing the yard in 30C+ temps wasn't enough for today, we went for a 1-hour lakeside walk before coming home and having a late supper of BBQ NY striploin, caesar salad, and corn. I had a glass of 1800 anejo to wash things down.

Jul.21 37C/Astra SP(1) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.22 37C/Astra SP(2) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.23 37C/Astra SP(3) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk

A solid sweaty elliptical workout this morning ended with a call from our buddies checking to see that we were up before they came over to reap a harvest of lettuce from our backyard. They ended up staying about an hour, feasting on sweet peas they got to pick as well as a bunch of juicy plums before leaving with bags of lettuce and kale. A great start to a Sunday!

Jul.21 37C/Astra SP(1) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.22 37C/Astra SP(2) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk
Jul.23 37C/Astra SP(3) ................ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Spiffero ............ Clubman milk

A solid sweaty elliptical workout this morning ended with a call from our buddies checking to see that we were up before they came over to reap a harvest of lettuce from our backyard. They ended up staying about an hour, feasting on sweet peas they got to pick as well as a bunch of juicy plums before leaving with bags of lettuce and kale. A great start to a Sunday!
Oh start them on lettuce and then move them over to Kale. WoodPusherMan indeed!

Some showers overnight should help the lawn and veggies. Woohoo! Less work for me!

Switched over to an EJ89 this morning and there is a lot more blade feel to it than the ASD2, but there was little danger of a nick as it is still a nice and mild razor. The shave results were pretty good and the angle for shaving was very intuitive.

A nice post-shower morning shave today. I didn't work out, as we will be on the road tomorrow to visit a friend of my wife's in east PA for 4-5 days. Should be nice and I figured that relaxing today would be a good pre-mini-vacation prep.

Back