The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Do Canadian cockles even get frostbitten? I would think some sort of protective covering would have evolved, with natural selection winnowing out those less fortunate.
I believe this is true. But you know evolution. You have to continue to filter out the weaker mutations. You know, like kissing cousins, or the Canadian that stood too close to the microwave in his youth.

Apr.24 37C/Astra SP(3) ............... Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Well, THAT was different!

I decided to dry shave a swirly patch on my neck this morning when I got up (no workout sweat lubrication) with the slant and, lo and behold, nice and smooth. Woohoo!

After my morning sweat-a-thon on the elliptical and shower, that part of my neck felt very sensitive even when paintbrushing the lather on with the nice and soft Paladin. Uh-oh that doesn't bode well.

Sure enough, I ended up having to shave around that area and now have a nice pink very tender 1.5" square on the side of my neck from this experimentation.

This PSA was brought to you by the "Don't Try This At Home!" crew.

Not so silver lining (one hour after shaving) .....
View attachment 109833
giphy.gif

Apr.25 37C/Astra SP(1) ............... Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Following my workout this morning, it was time to approach my post-shower shave and see how my pick blotch from yesterday was going to fare. No issue with paining on the lather, but rubbing my fingers ATG over it highlighted that it was not yet back to 100%. Therefore, I went VERY light WTG over it on pass-1 and went around it on my ATG pass. Better safe than sorry! Hey! How come nobody put that thought into my head before yesterday's experiment?

No alum sting and the AS went on without much complaint. I'm hoping that my neck will be close to fully recovered come tomorrow morning. For now? I'll take it!

The young'uns are killers these days. As a bunch of US universities offer chess scholarships, parents in Canada are more and more coughing up the bucks to get GM tutoring (mainly online, but also some in person). Back in the 80's and 90s, only Roman Pelts offered that service in Toronto and it was in person. Nowadays, you can get your choice of world-class tutors.

Last edited:
The young'uns are killers these days. As a bunch of US universities offer chess scholarships, parents in Canada are more and more coughing up the bucks to get GM tutoring (mainly online, but also some in person). Back in the 80's and 90s, only Roman Pelts offered that service in Toronto and it was in person. Nowadays, you can get your choice of world-class tutors.
Well, as true royalty, I don't believe I like the thought of them buying their station in life. 🧐

Apr.26 37C/Astra SP(2) ............... Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Earlier than normal workout and shave this morning as we're heading across town (~80km/50m ... yeah, it's a small place) to visit my mom and take her out for some lunch and a trip to the mall. Should be fun, providing that traffic is not a gnarly mess.

Oh, my neck seems to be back to normal. Woot!

Apr.26 37C/Astra SP(2) ............... Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Clubman milk

Earlier than normal workout and shave this morning as we're heading across town (~80km/50m ... yeah, it's a small place) to visit my mom and take her out for some lunch and a trip to the mall. Should be fun, providing that traffic is not a gnarly mess.

Oh, my neck seems to be back to normal. Woot!
Enjoy your day with your mom.. Never take it for granted.. :)

Back