The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Almost. I faced a few GMs over the years. Drawn most and lost 2 (I think); beating them is a different matter. SIMs are sort of GM-light; still formidable, but not Death Star levels of destruction. I would describe my level in Star Wars terms as "drunken Tusken raider."

Don’t be Greedo.

Thanks guys.

I started "Bow Tie Tuesday" years ago when I worked elsewhere and even inspired a couple of other folks to join in over time. At this year's work Christmas Party (Friday night, and it was a blast!), I was at a table with a teammate and our Director (Suzy) when I brought up wearing a bow tie. My teammate(Brian) said he would join in and maybe we'd make it a "thing."

When I showed up this morning, Brian was dressed normally (dress shirt, no tie) and said he looked for his bow tie and might need to buy a new one. Suzy cracked a huge smile when she saw me, and she wasn't the only one. A few OMG LOL reactions from some folks (I also wear a trenchcoat and a fedora to work) but by and large, very positive reactions and it made many people smile. The latter is the key ... have fun and enjoy life (including at work!). I answered people's questions about why, is it real, and will I do it again.

Bow Tie Tuesdays are back. Might need to pick up another one or two. I have the one pictured (reversible, red with small white markings) and a striped purple one. My black silk one (pre-tied knot from about 35 years ago, still with its box) hardly gets worn.

Thanks guys.

I started "Bow Tie Tuesday" years ago when I worked elsewhere and even inspired a couple of other folks to join in over time. At this year's work Christmas Party (Friday night, and it was a blast!), I was at a table with a teammate and our Director (Suzy) when I brought up wearing a bow tie. My teammate(Brian) said he would join in and maybe we'd make it a "thing."

When I showed up this morning, Brian was dressed normally (dress shirt, no tie) and said he looked for his bow tie and might need to buy a new one. Suzy cracked a huge smile when she saw me, and she wasn't the only one. A few OMG LOL reactions from some folks (I also wear a trenchcoat and a fedora to work) but by and large, very positive reactions and it made many people smile. The latter is the key ... have fun and enjoy life (including at work!). I answered people's questions about why, is it real, and will I do it again.

Bow Tie Tuesdays are back. Might need to pick up another one or two. I have the one pictured (reversible, red with small white markings) and a striped purple one. My black silk one (pre-tied knot from about 35 years ago, still with its box) hardly gets worn.
Sam, I have a couple dozen and it's all I wear (y)

*Yawn*
giphy.gif

Woke up this morning -TO- the alarm (usually, I am awake before the alarm, watching the clock so I can stop it before the first beep is finished), thinking "I'm sure glad this is Saturday. Wonder if Grace has to work today. I'm pooped." Then rolled over and settled in for a snooze. Thinking "why am I so tired?" was answered by "chess club last night..." which means that today is Friday. :eek: Better get up NOW! ....... Thankfully, only 2 mins had passed. *whew*

Doesn't bode well for a day of intellectual engagement at work..... luckily I am not required to think in accounting. 🙈🙉🙊

I set two alarms on my phone, a half hour apart. The first is a simple ringing phone; the second a blaring emergency alarm. Usually does the trick.

Back