The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

My wife cut my hair just now (high fade) and is still nervous with a pair of clippers in her hands. This was her third time and she's worried that she'll damage my ear 🤪 I think I need to move to bi-weekly touch-ups just to get her more hands-on practice. What should be a 5-10 minute task took almost half an hour. Gotta love her for putting in the effort.

It sucks as it cuts!
tumblr_kueo1eeqCq1qa2i2xo1_400.gif

It only cost a bit more to manage my hair than the soup bowl usually did.
True, I just use the clippers and do my own. Like Sam my wife would be nervous and take 30 minutes to do what I can do in 5. Funny story as she was cutting it one time:
I'm sitting there as she cuts with the clippers using the 1/8 inch guard she then sets aside and uses the cleanup trimmer around my ears etc. and she says, oh I missed a spot and pics up the clippers again taking 1 swipe and then pausing for a length of time in silence. I say, took the guard off and forgot huh? She says, " I am soooooooooo sorrryyyyyyy" Without missing a beat I said just even it all out again.................

I was asked if I was interesting in signing up to play for Canada in a friendly correspondence match against France. Of course, I said yes (always honoured to represent my country).

Turns out I am in for a set of some tough games against someone close to GM strength. SIM (Senior International Master) is the title below Grandmaster, While the IM title exists between my CCM (Master) title and the SIM. These matches are always two games per board, one with each colour.
1574903233986.png

Almost. I faced a few GMs over the years. Drawn most and lost 2 (I think); beating them is a different matter. SIMs are sort of GM-light; still formidable, but not Death Star levels of destruction. I would describe my level in Star Wars terms as "drunken Tusken raider."

Back