The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

It's all done via server these days, Bob, with engines being allowed (nay, "required" is a better way to state it). My old 32-bit WIN-XP system had me close to the IM title against guys running powerhouse machines. Same resulting decisions in how I use the engines but what would take 40-50 hours to analyse can now be done overnight.

It's all done via server these days, Bob, with engines being allowed (nay, "required" is a better way to state it). My old 32-bit WIN-XP system had me close to the IM title against guys running powerhouse machines. Same resulting decisions in how I use the engines but what would take 40-50 hours to analyse can now be done overnight.
Does this say it's basically your computer playing their computer?

Does this say it's basically your computer playing their computer?
At the 10,000ft view, this is indeed what it appears to be, and I have no doubt that many folks simply play the engine's top choice with their only input being how long to run the analysis. The ICCF (correspondence association) gave up on trying to control engine use as there was no way to accurately determine whether someone was cheating or not.

The better correspondence players (which I aspire to become ..... one day ...... maybe ...... I hope) are much more selective and focussed in how they use the machine. They let the machine run for "a bit", play a move or two of the computer analysis on the machine, and then inject their own move to see how it shakes out after more analysis. Wash, rinse and repeat for sometimes days or weeks on a single move.

There's no doubt that the top 10 engines are better than the world champion, but even the top GrandMasters look to correspondence games for ideas to try in their play. It is a VERY different type of game than normal over-the-board (OTB) chess.

Last edited:
#science
It's been a few years since I've played chess, but I like to think that the people who taught me did a good job of teaching me risk assessment, which has extended, albeit sporadically, into real life. I wish I had put more effort into learning the intricacies when I was younger.

When you push your pawn forward on your next game, they ain't gunna know what hit them!

Teaching/training/tutoring is how most North American chess masters (and up) make money. Not by actually playing, as tournament prizes are too small and too few and far between here.

Something came in the mail today, courtesy of my new bestest friend, @Dave in KY . Luckily it wasn't shrink-wrapped in plastic, as my wife would never believe that I didn't buy it.

Her immediate reaction when I opened the lid and got her to take a whiff was along the lines of...

"Oh my God! It stinks like a dog puked in someone's sweaty socks!"

1574215301226.png

What she actually said was "Mmmmm, smells nice."

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my wife! :love:

Thank you Dave (We know which one we're talking 'bout here :)). The Tabac stick with the container is something I've been wanting for a LONG time.

BTW it is my understanding that I also owe a debt of gratitude to a certain safety cat loving brother of mine.

Last edited:
Back