The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

🤷‍♂️

SIM Hynes and I have each won the title a few times (me, twice clear 1st), so yeah, it's sort of sad that neither of us managed to win a game. Buy hey, this still counts as being Canadian Champion, so it's not all bad.

The 2022 tnmt is also near completion. I'm tied for 1st on points and wins, but lagging on the next tie-break by 1/2 point, so I need Egan to beat Sladek (highlighted) to lift me into a =1st position. Otherwise, I'm just an also-ran. IM Barcay (in 5th) could win his final game and join us at 6.5 pts and 3 wins, but his final tie-break would be the worse of us and he would finish 3rd.

1677293237319.png

Yes, those of you astute folks will recognise that there is an American playing in the Canadian championships. We are 100+ years old as an organization and allow Americans to join our association with full priviledges. Down the road that might have to change, as the world association adamantly flags this an an international tournament and not a national tournament, and makes us jump through hoops and charges us more to run it than should be the case. BTW the CCCA (Canada) is older than the ICCF (international body), but their server, their rules. Es lo que es. 🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

SIM Hynes and I have each won the title a few times (me, twice clear 1st), so yeah, it's sort of sad that neither of us managed to win a game. Buy hey, this still counts as being Canadian Champion, so it's not all bad.
That must come with a heck of a belt buckle!

Feb.25 ASD2/Astra SP(3) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

A snowy Saturday morning here, with a slow but steady picturesque view of giant flakes gently falling to the ground. Beautiful ... until you have to drive in it.

My lather this morning was also pretty good looking, with a nice yogurty sheen to it. "Driving" in it wasn't too difficult, even though it was pretty slick.

Feb.26 ASD2/Astra SP(1) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

Up at 5:30 this morning to get some stuff into the oven nice and early, as we are having some folks over for brunch around 10. Lots of baking done yesterday evening, so everything should be pretty nice and easy for when people arrive. Just need to put on some coffee and get the hash browns into the oven and we're all set.

Of course, I had a half-decent shave and simply happy that I did not have to shovel the driveway this morning.

Feb.27 ASD2/Astra SP(2) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

Yesterday was a great success with two of my wife's sisters, her cousin+husband coming over for brunch. A few of them have not seen each other for 20 years and one not for almost 40. Things wrapped up around 4pm as there was lots of family catch up to do.

Another storm is supposed to be coming in this afternoon and overnight with between 4-6" of snow and freezing rain goop expected. Roads will be yucky tomorrow, but as for today, a late morning Barbacco shave was just the thing to kick back with.

Feb.27 ASD2/Astra SP(2) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

Yesterday was a great success with two of my wife's sisters, her cousin+husband coming over for brunch. A few of them have not seen each other for 20 years and one not for almost 40. Things wrapped up around 4pm as there was lots of family catch up to do.

Another storm is supposed to be coming in this afternoon and overnight with between 4-6" of snow and freezing rain goop expected. Roads will be yucky tomorrow, but as for today, a late morning Barbacco shave was just the thing to kick back with.
Wonderful family reunion! Glad it went well, Sam. :)

20 and 40 years! Holy smokes that is a long time! There must have been no lack for catch up and conversation! 😂

Back