The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Feb.22 ASD2/Astra SP(3) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

A nice enough start to the morning. As it's Wednesday that meant putting out the garbage & recycle at 6:30am and then heading to the Costco gasbar to try to avoid lineups. Luckily for me, only 13/18 pumps were occupied so it was zippidy-zip.

Shave was okay and re-nicked the under-the-lip blip that I've managed to hit most of the last week. My wife and I will head out to a job fair held by the local plant nursery this morning to see if we can land something part-time for the year. We both love gardening, so this would fit in great with us.

Feb.22 ASD2/Astra SP(3) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

A nice enough start to the morning. As it's Wednesday that meant putting out the garbage & recycle at 6:30am and then heading to the Costco gasbar to try to avoid lineups. Luckily for me, only 13/18 pumps were occupied so it was zippidy-zip.

Shave was okay and re-nicked the under-the-lip blip that I've managed to hit most of the last week. My wife and I will head out to a job fair held by the local plant nursery this morning to see if we can land something part-time for the year. We both love gardening, so this would fit in great with us.
Good luck with the job fair!!

Feb.23 ASD2/Astra SP(1) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

The snow dump from yesterday evening and overnight ended up not being too much work for me this morning, as my neighbour seems to have used his snowblower to clean our sidewalk and enough of our driveway for us to get out. Always good when you wake up to a pleasant surprise. We look after each other's mail and sidewalk when either of us is away, but this was still a very nice thing to kick off the day.

Feb.23 ASD2/Astra SP(1) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

The snow dump from yesterday evening and overnight ended up not being too much work for me this morning, as my neighbour seems to have used his snowblower to clean our sidewalk and enough of our driveway for us to get out. Always good when you wake up to a pleasant surprise. We look after each other's mail and sidewalk when either of us is away, but this was still a very nice thing to kick off the day.
Nice to have neighbors like that. I did the whole "shoveling snow" thing when I was stationed up at Naval Training Center Great Lakes during winter back in the day. I'll be just fine if I never have to do that again. :rolleyes:

I did the whole "shoveling snow" thing when I was stationed up at Naval Training Center Great Lakes during winter back in the day. I'll be just fine if I never have to do that again. :rolleyes:
I was there February - April. When the wind from Lake Michigan blows across those grinders, wow, that was cold.

Feb.24 ASD2/Astra SP(2) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

Bridge club was cancelled yesterday afternoon due to the previous night's storm, but the roads were clear so I went. Alas, the sign on the door had our slot xxx'd out. *sigh* Chess club was on though! A good game against a stronger player that I missed my shot to drop him to his knees and ended up losing from an inferior endgame.

Oh well, such is life.

And in the vein of thought, my shave was meh-ishly meh.

Feb.24 ASD2/Astra SP(2) ............ Paladin Sumo ........... TFS Rasozero Barbacco .......... Stetson milk

Bridge club was cancelled yesterday afternoon due to the previous night's storm, but the roads were clear so I went. Alas, the sign on the door had our slot xxx'd out. *sigh* Chess club was on though! A good game against a stronger player that I missed my shot to drop him to his knees and ended up losing from an inferior endgame.

Oh well, such is life.

And in the vein of thought, my shave was meh-ishly meh.
*Surveillance video from inside the chess club after Sam's loss

giphy-downsized.gif

Have a great day, brother. 😁

So what you’re saying is that chess players have more fortitude and gumption than bridge players?

The 2021 Canadian Correspondence Chess Championship recently completed. This even was a 2-stage tournament with the top 2 from each of the 3 semifinals advancing to the double-round-robin final. In the end, all the games were drawn and everyone tied for 1st as co-champions and last as co-losers even after applying all tie-breaks. This is the first time in Canadian history this has happened. In fact, the most we've had tied for first in the past was 2 players.

1677267983299.png

Back