The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

I think the real reason the US went to war with the Brits was our stubbornness of not wanting to go to the metric system because why have calculations based on Base 10 when you can have them established on the length between some random piggies and their heel. Duh

I think the real reason the US went to war with the Brits was our stubbornness of not wanting to go to the metric system because why have calculations based on Base 10 when you can have them established on the length between some random piggies and their heel. Duh
In 1960s grade school we were taught that the US would soon convert to metric. Still waiting...

The French invented the metric system, but if the war with the Brits you are referring to the war of American independence the French were American allies, so metric would have been more likely to happen then if at all. Got lucky!
i like to draw things in metric when it makes things clearer and converting to inches is silly; easy to measure 640mm rather than 25.197" on a tape measure.

Besides originality and eccentricity is good, unless 95% of the world uses that!

T

The French invented the metric system, but if the war with the Brits you are referring to the war of American independence the French were American allies, so metric would have been more likely to happen then if at all. Got lucky!
i like to draw things in metric when it makes things clearer and converting to inches is silly; easy to measure 640mm rather than 25.197" on a tape measure.

Besides originality and eccentricity is good, unless 95% of the world uses that!

We used metric in the military as well - i miss the simplicity of it

Feb.08 ASD2/Wilkinson(3) ........... Paladin Sumo ........... Cella ....................................... Stetson milk

Another early-ish shave for me this morning as it was garbage day. Well, recycle day, "normal" garbage is next week. Today's plan is to go visit my mom across town (about 1hr -1hr 30min drive, depending on traffic) as we haven't seen her in person for over a month. Facetime every day isn't quite the same.

DST? :unsure:

Have a safe drive, Sam. Enjoy.
Daylight Savings Time…….you know - those times when you Navy Scalliwags were out and about during your ports of call and realized you got an extra hour of drinking (all while the Army did the real work and were angry at having to carry the load for an additional hour)

Feb.09 ASD2/Wilkinson(4) ........... Paladin Sumo ........... Cella ....................................... Stetson milk

Boy oh boy, was I tired after getting home yesterday evening. I zonked out on the couch before 9pm, shuffled off to bed before 10pm, and then got up around 8am instead of my normal 6:30 time. It must have been octogenarian osmosis after spending all day at my mom's retirement home. A bunch of them seem to have higher energy levels that my wife and I, which is great to see!

An 11:30am shave seems to fit in the the sluggish day as it's a fairly steady rain going on so far today. Still, off to afternoon bridge and evening chess must I go.

Back