The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Sep.28 ASD2/Crystal(4) ................ Omega boar ............ Captains Choice 45th Parallel ... Cella balm

Back to the boar and another meh-ishly good shave is in the books. We shall be going out to supper with my old high school teacher of almost 40 years ago. They are in town until Friday and have a very busy schedule lined up, but we're managing to squeeze in for a few hours.

He joined the school for my last year and was my homeroom teacher, but I never actually had him for any of my courses. He's the one to blame for me actually realizing that chess was more than just a game for home like parcheesi. We've kept in touch over the years and he and his wife became friends with my family back home as well. Their well water was rusty looking, so they always came down to our house to fill containers for their drinking water. I think that the municipality finally hooked them up for water and sewer (instead of well and septic tank) only a few years ago.

He joined the school for my last year and was my homeroom teacher, but I never actually had him for any of my courses. He's the one to blame for me actually realizing that chess was more than just a game for home like parcheesi. We've kept in touch over the years and he and his wife became friends with my family back home as well. Their well water was rusty looking, so they always came down to our house to fill containers for their drinking. I think that the municipality finally hooked them up for water and sewer (instead of well and septic tank) only a few years ago.
I believe that makes him Luke Skywalker and you Rey…🤔

Hey, I saw that Magnus made his statement and that now others have come forward, not with direct proof that Niemann cheated, but showing that in his game with Magnus that he won - that he made an unusual percentage of perfect moves that calls - a percentage that hadn’t been seen since 2010 - and that dude was caught cheating.

I bet the chess world wasn’t expecting this much attention!

This is not the kind of publicity that the chess world needs. Carlsen was "good for business" but since he's decided to walk away from defending his title, umm.... not so much. There's actuall a picture of Carlsen and Niemann playing chess on a beach just before the start of the tournament where Carlsen lost and made his first pseudo-accusation. He's trying to tread carefully so as not to be sued in the US, but apparently in many countries, he's already crossed the line as to what whould be considered defamation, especially without any hard evidence.

What kind of work do you do?
Normally i like to draw boring gaskets or hose assemblies for Texas refineries, but i have this subversive streak and can't help myself from abusing the machines to make them cut whatever i please. The pic is something we thought would be fun for a school prom for the daughter of a guy i work with.
The idea came from a child's jigsaw puzzle and i thought 'that'd be great at 15 feet tall'
T

Attachments

• dino.jpg
    dino.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 11
This is not the kind of publicity that the chess world needs. Carlsen was "good for business" but since he's decided to walk away from defending his title, umm.... not so much. There's actuall a picture of Carlsen and Niemann playing chess on a beach just before the start of the tournament where Carlsen lost and made his first pseudo-accusation. He's trying to tread carefully so as not to be sued in the US, but apparently in many countries, he's already crossed the line as to what whould be considered defamation, especially without any hard evidence.
It's seemed to me from the very beginning of this saga that the best placed person in the world to know if someone is cheating would be the world champion of the sport. He could be wrong and just hurt that he lost a game of course. But he never whined when Duda ended his record winning streak of 125 games.
Magnus resigned on move 2 of his next meeting with Niemann, but won that tournament regardless.
Niemann has admitting to cheating on 2 occasions in the past, but will play naked in future if asked, which ought to really swell audience numbers (was going to write 'members' but thought better of it)
And today it was revealed that his coach GM Max Dlugy was banned twice on chess.com for cheating too.
My guess is that Magnus can defend defamation, slander or libel lawsuits - pick your jurisdiction - easily on this basis.

i notice less frugality in your use of blades, which i think i attributed to a retirement thing. i like to use a straight razor but i do recycle the DE blades i use on occasion and it comforts me to know that each will be turned into a new DE blade without my blood on it!

T

Sep.30 ASD2/Crystal(1) ................ Omega boar ............ Captains Choice 45th Parallel ... Cella balm

September is at end and and it saw a full set of 30 daily DE shaves for the month. This morning's shave was meh-ish enough to see a tiny strawberry just under my bottom lip. I guess it'll do. ;)

@supertrunker Normally I would use a DE blade for 7 shaves, but the Crystals are not holding up as good as Nacets or Feathers, so I'm not opposed to turfing them a shave or two earlier instead of a shave or two too late.

Chesswise, FIDE has now launched an investigation into both Niemann and Carlsen, as both cheating and making false accusations are serious matters. It should be noted that FIDE only has justification over FIDE events, so it does not matter what has gone on in online events (unless they are FIDE rated). Carlsen's actions were in FIDE rated events, so the onus would appear to be on him to prove that Niemann cheated in FIDE events. Chess.com does not run FIDE tournaments, so anything done there is irrelevant to Carlsen's accusations.

The US championships will be starting soon and since Niemann is playing, it would appear that the US Chess Federation does not believe he is a cheater (in normal tournaments). Nor have any of the other players protested his participation.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome of all this mess is.

Since I am truly an outsider - the whole situation seemed bizarre. And every time I watched an ”expert” explain a point of view - I actually became more confused. I can understand the appearance of impropriety based on the number of perfect plays - but nothing appears to be a smoking gun. Plus the over the board game in which Niemann actually won - I can’t see how he could possibly cheat - based on the fact that they went through metal detectors. So unless there was a person in the room giving signals - like in 2010 - I am not quite sure.

It’s not like baseball - where Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa were clear cheaters (even without evidence of an actual drug test)- just comparing performance based on the based and taking into account age and the overall gains in muscle mass. But even in those cases - where I am a passionate fan - and which I believe those folks shouldn’t even have an asterisk by their records - but shouldn’t count at all; but baseball is a conservative sport in making changes and matter of fact decisions.

I am interested in seeing how this chess investigation pans out.

Evidence, even suspicious evidence, is still not proof. At this time how would he not be allowed to play in the U.S. Championship?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Oct.02 ASD2/Crystal(3) ................ Omega boar ............ Captains Choice 45th Parallel ... Cella balm

A sunshine filled day with temperatures just right for a nice walk in the woods ... and that's exactly what we will be doing shortly after lunch. We should be able to get in 1.5 hrs, assuming we don't get lost.

Back