The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Sep.21 ASD2/Crystal(2) ................ Omega boar ............ Captains Choice 45th Parallel ... Cella balm

Switched to my Omega boar (Sue edition) this morning and, man, what a nice brush this one is. Easy peasy loading, easy peasy face lathering, great gobs of lather, and an easy peasy shave. I need to use this brush more often.
I was into boars in a big way (in enthusiasm, not purchases). I still have the first brush I bought, a $9 Omega boar that's big enough to paint a barn.

Brian, I am aware of this incident (saw it unfold on the tnmt video feed) and the initial one as well. Methinks that Carlsen is thinking he is above the game and the rules don't apply to him. If any other player simply resigned on move 2 (he had to actually make a move before the RESIGN button becomes available), they would probably be removed from the tnmt. Carlsen is also walking away from defending his World Championship title simply because he doesn't view the opponent as worthy enough. He's even said that there was only one person whom he would defend his title against.

He's made his money and has more than needed to live out his days. For such a talent to turn out to be a nut job.... well, it's happened before way back in the 70s.

Sam - the Chess world is rocked in a scandal - what say you?

You know how those chess types are…that title of Grand Master really goes to their heads. Compare to martial arts…where at least bodily harm is on the line…
69B61960-C9E6-4ADB-9808-5CF1A6597B9F.gif

i reckon if the World Chess champion thinks that someone is cheating, such that he refuses to play them, withdrawing from one tournament and abruptly resigning in the next game against the same player, then maybe he has his reasons and should publish them.

Correct me if i'm miles off here, but Magnus is about a 2860 and Ding Liren about 2810 - so his choice to not repeat the same match he had and won against Nepo, who won the Candidates makes some sense, given the months of preparation that takes.

As for your martial arts - that'd be like me against Mr. Mijagi!

T

Alex Firouzja is the only one Carlsen said he would play against. Tournaments run by FIDE, the world chess body, determine the challenger to the champion. The days of the champion getting to determine who he plays are long faded into yesteryear. It would be like Ferderer saying he will only play in the Wimbledon final if he gets to play Nadal.

My thoughts are that he'd still beat any of them over the usual tournament cycle, but not maybe if they were all rapid games etc.

God knows some of us would vote for a rapid Wimbledon match. And you're quite right, it would be like Federer saying that and also having the choice to withdraw if he chose. i see he retired. As is his right.

i don't play classical chess, but i do like to follow the goings on and i can stare at chess puzzles for hours. I'm no IM like you for example.

T

2200 is a cracking rating. Far beyond what i'll get otb. Or any other way.
But blitz chess is not me staring at a board, having a think - it's a panic attack!

Who's your favorite chess player ever?

T

I would chose to play like Karpov, if I could; a cold eyed killer fish with no emotions at the board.
1663808506262.png

But I probably play more like this guy after having 8 butterbeers...
1663808447130.png

In real life, I enjoy the slow and steady grind to an assured victory rather than a brilliant tactical slugfest where the other guys gets chances. I'm probably more a boa constrictor than a viper.

Sam - the Chess world is rocked in a scandal - what say you?

I watched a Magnus interview yesterday and he indicated he would have something to say after the current Julius Baer Generation Cup is over.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Brian, I am aware of this incident (saw it unfold on the tnmt video feed) and the initial one as well. Methinks that Carlsen is thinking he is above the game and the rules don't apply to him. If any other player simply resigned on move 2 (he had to actually make a move before the RESIGN button becomes available), they would probably be removed from the tnmt. Carlsen is also walking away from defending his World Championship title simply because he doesn't view the opponent as worthy enough. He's even said that there was only one person whom he would defend his title against.

He's made his money and has more than needed to live out his days. For such a talent to turn out to be a nut job.... well, it's happened before way back in the 70s.
Sadly, so true

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

I watched a bunch of replays of the game - I have to say I’m not even at novice level - so much I didn’t understand - but all seemed to agree at least in the match previously that there weren’t obvious signs of cheating - based on the moves - everyone said it wasn’t the greatest match, but Magnus was not playing his best though. Be interested to see what proof, if any, is there.

Back