The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

She’ll never leave.
We're also a good bit cheaper than the $3-6k/month of retirement homes.🤪

But seriously, we are hoping that she decides to live either:
- with me or my brother full time (both wives are on board),
- alternate between us whenever the fancy hits her, or
- move into a retirement home up here instead of in Newfoundland.

Shuttling between you both sounds like a fair division of labor and cost as well as a change of scenery now and then. My parents are too stubborn to entertain leaving their home at all and where i live is 'too hot'.
T
Plus his mom will get exhausted if she doesn’t get a break from taking care of Sam from time to time.

Jun.12 Injector I2/Personna(18) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

As mentioned, my mom is now over with us for a while; it could be days; it could be weeks. Everything will be played by ear, which is pretty much how a life of luxury should be. She had her first coffee in about 40 years or so and mused that it wasn't overly bad at all. She tried it because I referenced a bunch of articles about how it helps will bowel movements; the older you get, the more important these things are.

My shave was nice enough, but the blade is now starting to show its age.

Jun.13 Injector I2/Personna(19) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

A nice noon-ish shave today. The blade should go another 2 shaves, which would bring it to 3 weeks of daily use. That's good by me!

Out with my mom for a light Portuguese lunch consisting of chicken balls, a shared chorizo bun, and some natas. Num-num-num.

Have a great day!

Jun.14 Injector I2/Personna(20) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Mid-morning shave followed by making oatmeal for mom and I, and the out and about checking out retirement homes. We're now back from lunch after the first visit to one and I hope to get out to another one or two today. She liked it much more than what she has seen back in Newfoundland, but the price is a big jump up and even the smallest (~$4k US/month) is looking to stretch the budget.

She liked it much more than what she has seen back in Newfoundland, but the price is a big jump up and even the smallest (~$4k US/month) is looking to stretch the budget.
Ouch, those are expensive living quarters. Hope you (collectively) find a solution that works.

Ouch, those are expensive living quarters. Hope you (collectively) find a solution that works.
We're trying! And we did find some things within budget for her. I define budget as "can you safely afford this for 10 years," as she wishes to maintain her independence. In the end, the choice of Newfoundland-vs-Ontario will be hers alone, as will the choice of home and room. I can only provide recommendations.

Jun.15 Injector I2/Personna(21) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

A 9am shave today, but we headed out for a day driving around in cottage country with my wife, my mom, and two of my sister-in-laws. A little bit of a tight fit for the three ladies in the back, but we made sure to stop every hour or so, even if it was just to allow everyone to stretch their legs for 15 minutes.

A nice 9+ hour day out, but a little too long for my mom (even if she won't admit it).

Back