The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Jun.04 Injector I2/Personna(10) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

My back is now simply in the "stiff and sore" stage rather than the "sharp stick a knife in and twist" phase. In case you are uncertain as to what that means, it's a marked improvement. :) As a result, I was only in noticeable discomfort instead of agony for my shave.

Having our walking buddies come over for a mid-afternoon snack and refreshments, and we'll try to fit in a neighbourhood walk. That way, if my back goes, my 63 year old buddy won't have to carry me that far home. 🤪

Our walking buddies came for a an afternoon in our backyard: burgers, salad, Smirnoff refreshments, and rice krispie squares (they brought the latter two!)
My unofficial diagnosis is in, but is is close enough to official for me as it was made by our walking buddy who is a just-retired nurse: Sciatica. Even her husband figured it our before she asked, as he had it before. So instead of walking around our neighbourhood, we just sat, ate, drank, and talked for 3 hours. It was quite enjoyable.

My buddy said that he had a new drink to try: "A Bear Claw or something like that." Turns out it was a raspberry WhiteClaw. I started laughing when I saw it, calling it "fizzy Jack and Jill cough syrup." Neither he nor his wife liked it and when I said there were other flavours that he might want to try, a quick "No, thank you" was his response. As I said, a fun afternoon.

Until next time,
Sciatica Sam

Back to bed instead of the couch last night and the couch was MUCH better for me, especially trying to get up in the morning. I've regressed to where I was on Friday, but would have been more than happy to have been where I was yesterday. *blah*

No shave yet, but my morning "light stretching" exercises for my sciatica has the last load of laundry in the machine already.

Mr Pusher, have you looked up exercises for strengthening the back for just such an injury? I had several given to me by physical therapy that I should be doing to help prevent another occurrence of 🤬🤬🤬 and ☠️☠️☠️☠️

Jun.05 Injector I2/Personna(11) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Today was not the best day for my back, but neither was it the worst. Ended up with a 7:30pm shave as, quite frankly, I did not feel like I would be able to stand in the shower and then shave, with the required bending over the sink to rinse. Even this late in the day, I still had to brace myself on the counter while shaving.

I think I will go back to the couch tonight.

Jun.06 Injector I2/Personna(12) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Slept on the couch last night and, like the previous time, I had a good night's sleep. Only woke up 3 times and no pain at all while shifting positions. Got up without any sharp pains and decided to take advantage of my health* with an early-for-me shower and shave.

Alas, I just sneezed while starting this post and, my oh my, my wife called out from her home office room to see if I was okay. Yup, I'm not ashamed to let out a loud girly squeal or two.

Jun.07 Injector I2/Personna(13) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Best Back Day EVER!!!

Okay, well, EVER as in since last Wednesday when all of my fun* started. But if you know who Phil Baroni is, you'll catch my drift. I may try the bed this evening or spend a third night in a row on the couch. We'll see how the day shakes out.

Lots of rain here overnight and today, which is good for the garden. Some of the soil has turned all dry and powdery over the past few days.

Last edited:
A little stiff this morning but not in a great deal of pain. I probably should NOT have been out planting around 60 feet worth of bitter melon seeds along the chain link fence after supper, nor spent 30-40 mins hunched over the table trying to fix our Waterpik (broken hose). Self-inflicted aches.

Back