The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

That's like a wheel falling off your car and you can't find the lug nuts. So you put it back on and wrap duct tape around the lugs just knowing that it can't possibly hold together for more than a few hundred feet as you're approaching the highway onramp.

Jun.08 Injector I2/Personna(14) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Taking out the garbage this morning .... not an issue.
Taking in the empty garbage containers ... ow!

Funny how that works.

At least my current pain seems to now be simply nagging tight back muscles with a touch of sciatica jolts every now and then. That is MUCH better than what it was when it first started out. Shaving was awkward with the stiff back, but at least I did not have to brace myself on the counter.

That's like a wheel falling off your car and you can't find the lug nuts. So you put it back on and wrap duct tape around the lugs just knowing that it can't possibly hold together for more than a few hundred feet as you're approaching the highway onramp.
You are obviously NOT Canadian🇨🇦, even with the duct tape reference. Up here, we put the bad wheel in the trunk and everyone piles into the seat in the diagonally opposite corner of the car. Duh!

1654702250337.png

Jun.09 Injector I2/Personna(15) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Based on how my back was feeling, I decided to sleep in the bed instead of on the couch last night. No sharp pains but some awkwardness as I was lying on the side that I have the sciatica on (I alternate through the night as a side and back sleeper). In the morning, all was pretty good. About on par with what the couch has been doing for me.

I am still a little stiff and not back to a normal walking posture, but it's getting closer. I will probably even go the chess club tonight!

Shave-wise, not much to report other than the blade doing well at 15 shaves.

Jun.10 Injector I2/Personna(16) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

A noon-ish shave today as most of my morning was spent working on investment spreadsheets, as I look at doing some minor adjustments and revamps to factor in where we are in life from a ticking-clock mortality aspect. This will include making things easier for my wife to manage if I happen to get hit by a bus, as well as make the estate more tax friendly in the event of a (hopefully long delayed) probate exercise.

Yeah, it sounds like doom and gloom to plan for one's eventual demise, but as my "more life experienced" friend @August West will attest to, it is not something one should willfully ignore nor should it be an disheartening event.

Shave wise, all was good.

Chess club was last night and, after multiple mistakes by both of us, the game ended up being a draw (i.e. a tie for all you non-geeks).

Jun.10 Injector I2/Personna(16) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

A noon-ish shave today as most of my morning was spent working on investment spreadsheets, as I look at doing some minor adjustments and revamps to factor in where we are in life from a ticking-clock mortality aspect. This will include making things easier for my wife to manage if I happen to get hit by a bus, as well as make the estate more tax friendly in the event of a (hopefully long delayed) probate exercise.

Yeah, it sounds like doom and gloom to plan for one's eventual demise, but as my "more life experienced" friend @August West will attest to, it is not something one should willfully ignore nor should it be an disheartening event.

Shave wise, all was good.

Chess club was last night and, after multiple mistakes by both of us, the game ended up being a draw (i.e. a tie for all you non-geeks).
Well - I don’t want to see your demise - but I think you should plan that your ashes get added to the Scotia Bank Arena Zamboni water to bless the Leafs into perpetuity

We walk together. For a year or so, we went out at 7am to be back before she had to sign-in to work (Covid WFH model). Now, we try to get out when we can after work (having retired walking buddies that do not get up that early) and generally walk 2x a week for about an hour with them, even during -30C (-22F) during the winter. When she is working from the office (2 week in , 4 weeks home rotation), we only walk on weekends.

HRH, my wife, entertained that walking after i get home from work model, until the temperature here is over 90° which is now! So that never happened. i walk all day for my work anyway, so i don't need more, but if she wanted to i'd do it.
Even in the depths of the Covid nonsense here, i was considered an essential worker and i have to be there everyday.

Now it's even worse with rampant inflation - so do you sweat when you fill up your car with gas? Do you feel sick when you have to pay the bill? You have carownervirus!

T

Jun.11 Injector I2/Personna(17) ..... RV Shavemac ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

A little stiff this morning after our walk yesterday, but not in pain-pain. We'll head out this afternoon to the other side of Toronto (which will take about an hour on the highway) to see my mom at my brother's. We talk daily on Facetime, but this will be our first in-person visit with her in about 3-4 years, as that's when she last came up from Newfoundland.

The shave this morning was good, even with 17 shaves on the blade. A normal Personna injector blade does me 2 weeks and since I am growing a van dyke, I will probably get another 3-4 shaves from this one, but you never know.

Back