The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

After more than two years away from OTB chess (Over The Board - i.e. "normal" chess for all y'all), I will return to my chess club tomorrow night. I'm pretty sure there will be a few moments where I get the heebie-jeebies, but I guess it can't be any worse than Costco..... I hope.

After more than two years away from OTB chess (Over The Board - i.e. "normal" chess for all y'all), I will return to my chess club tomorrow night. I'm pretty sure there will be a few moments where I get the heebie-jeebies, but I guess it can't be any worse than Costco..... I hope.
Go get ‘em killer! Or tiger..or…. Hey, what’s your badass chess nickname?

May.19 FlareTip Rocket/Crystal(4) .... Graydog horse ....... Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Digging through the much-dwindled assortment of razors in the basement, I came across an English Flare Tip Rocket so I popped my current blade in it for this morning's shave. VERY nice, indeed! Ed liked both his Rockets (there's an HD500 as well) and I can see why.

THIS is how you do good damage to your shoulders and back! *Ugh*
When I put them down, I double-stacked the 8x8s as we were downhill from a paved parking lot and the side yard would flood. They were designed NOT to come up, but I guess my stubbornness persistence doesn't just apply to shave soaps.
0.jpg

May.20 ASD2/Crystal(5) ................. Graydog horse ....... Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Okay, I FINALLY managed to get those 8x8's apart. Took a few hours using a crowbar, cold chisel (to use as a wedge), lots of fulcrum-y 2x4s for the crowbar, hammer and a hacksaw (for the nails once the 8x8s separated)... oh, and lots of sweat and exertion.

Nothing says a job well done like a stiff back, legs, arms and a super slick back of the neck. I ain't not no young no more.
Next up .... demolish the simpler box gardens and then re-do the whole side yard.

But before that, lunch (ham sammich) and a well deserved (and needed!) shower and shave. Pooped as I am, I popped the blade back into the ASD2. Some tugging in the blade's 5th (and final) use and ended up with two small strawberries.

May.21 ASD2/Crystal(1) ................. Graydog horse ....... Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

A late morning shave today, but not because I was busy outside. Mainly, it's due to being stiff and sore FROM being outside yesterday. I will see what progress I can make on the side yard garden renovations today. It's already 29C/79F (humidex of 32C/90F) and expected to climb a few more degrees.

BIG storm swept through here yesterday. About an hour of heavy winds and rain, knocking out power from about 1:30pm yesterday to 8:30am today. Trees that I wouldn't be able to put my arms around were toppled and more than a few torso-thick branches down in the area. We came though fine (except for the power) and even some of my recent transplanted plants made it without issue. No house, yard or shed damage that I can see, which is better than across the street (thank goodness my 80+ year old kitty-corner neighbour came through unscathed).

As for my wife, she was distraught without electricity and no phone. She streamed YouTube for a few hours as soon as the power went. Ooops. First world problems.

Back