The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

May.04 R41/Crystal(4) ................... Sagrada synth ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

The switch to the R41 provided a good deal of blade feel. Not a harsh shave at all and the only real places I was aware of the razor's aggressiveness was under the nose and just under the lip. Other than that, it was a shave that was almost as easy-peasy as my ASD2. I figured I would have a half dozen or more strawberries and at least two nicks, but all is well. More than well, actually.

May.04 R41/Crystal(4) ................... Sagrada synth ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

The switch to the R41 provided a good deal of blade feel. Not a harsh shave at all and the only real places I was aware of the razor's aggressiveness was under the nose and just under the lip. Other than that, it was a shave that was almost as easy-peasy as my ASD2. I figured I would have a half dozen or more strawberries and at least two nicks, but all is well. More than well, actually.
Told ya. Go too steep (scraper angle) and you'll feel a difference, keep the blade angle shallow (proper shaving angle) and the razor doesn't matter.

May.05 R41/Crystal(5) ................... Sagrada synth ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Another nice shave this morning. I swapped out the Muhle handle for a bulldog one (Ed's favorite handle with the R41), but it felt way too heavy and I put the original back on for pass-2. The result was nice and smooth, but I am not sure that the whole shave experience itself is on par with the ASD2.

May.06 Progress@3/Crystal(1) ....... Sagrada synth ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

I switched over to the Progress this morning. It has been many a year since I used one of theses, with my previous Progress being gifted to my brother along with a pillow-soft BK4 to upgrade his kit from a cart and a horrible shedder of a brush.

In addition to providing a VERY smooth and easy shave, this razor is perhaps the loudest I have used since I shaved with a full hollow straight. The handle is a little slippery but that is something I hope to get used to over the next few days.

May.07 Progress@2/Crystal(2) ....... Sagrada synth ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

Another nice shave with the Progress this morning, even if I did lop off the head of a tiny pimple by the corner of my mouth.

Our walking buddies have now returned from a 1.5 week road trip south of the border (i.e. that would be "home" for you folks south of the border) and we will resume our trail walks at 1pm this afternoon. I hope they didn't bring back any cooties... but if they did, I hope that they are boneless honey garlic barbecued ones.

May.08 Progress@2/Crystal(3) ....... Sagrada synth ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

A nice and sunny morning with nothing but blue sky outside, making for an excellent Mother's Day. My mom has just a few days left in her house, with closing scheduled for Tuesday. She is just about finished selling and giving away everything and anything that she is not taking with her. She will float around for a bit, staying with several of us until she decides she wants to settle in somewhere. For now, her focus is rightly on moving out.

Shave this morning was excellent, and laundry has now begun.

May.09 Progress@2/Crystal(4) ....... Sagrada synth ........ Captains Choice Venture ...... Captains Choice Venture balm

The weekend was pretty good. LOTS of pulling dandelions with two(2) leaf bags full just from the front yard. 10 buckets pulled on Friday and about 3-4 being pulled daily as they hit puberty and show their yellow faces. Gotta get'em before they mate and produce young'uns, ya know.

Started on the back yard as well yesterday afternoon and only pulled a pail before my hands were hurting too much and I called it quits. Thankfully, the backyard seems to have less that the front yard did.

.... and the shave was nice!

Our Orlando-based nephew had a dog named Reefer. Is that close enough?
Either that - or we have several cadre members with children that are of the age that pulling weeds would be fun rather than a chore/work. They could send them up your way as both our agrarian cultures encourage the use of child labor. I know my parents took advantage of this system - my brother and I were paid in strawberries which at the time, we thought was a great deal. Little did we realize that our payment had the requirement of also weeding the strawberry patch.

1652111233115.jpeg

Back