The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Hoping that new wave making its way through Europe is just a minor variant. I think the upheaval of having to close things back down at this point will be massive.

Mar.22: Rockwell R1/Personna(1) ... Sagrada synth ..... Captain's Choice Bay rum .......... Nivea Protect & Care balm

A butcher shop!!! 😵🔪🪦

The mild Rockwell R1 is supposedly a rebrand of a very mild Bali. All I know is that, due to use error, I cut my chin, had three weepers in the goatee area and another 4-5 on my neck. Twas murder done most foul, sayeth I.

That said, I will use it again tomorrow. :oops:

As Yoder would say.... Sore tomorrow be shall I
1647974162165.png

Trying to clean the range hood and I just spent about 20 minutes contorting and working against 10 years of grease buildup to get the fan removed. And that's after about a previous 15-20 minutes trying a bunch of allen keys to push through the sludge to get the right one.

Gadzooks, but that's a log of gunk, both caked on solids as well as toxic avenger Melvin goop.

Already feeling my back protesting.

Mar.23: Rockwell R1/Personna(2) ... Graydog horse ..... Captain's Choice Bay rum .......... Nivea Protect & Care balm

A much better outing with the Rockwell R1 this morning than yesterday, but there's still room to improve as I had two small strawberries even after applying my post-shave alum and balm. I truly have been spoiled by the user-friendliness of my Injector and ASD2.

Raining this morning and projected to continue through to Saturday. That should thaw the ground enough for manure spreading next week.

Mar.24: Tech(Brit)/Personna(3) ...... Graydog horse ..... Captain's Choice Bay rum .......... Nivea Protect & Care balm

Displeased with the Rockwell R1, I switched over to a "Made in England" tech this morning. It has been MANY years since I used a tech and I was super pleased with the shave this morning. Well, if you discount how slippery the handle got. Post-shave, I went back down into the basement to see if I can swap out a handle for something more grippier. We will see how that affects tomorrow's shave, but for I, am am more than happy.

family-guy-peter-griffin.gif

Mar.25: Tech(Brit)/Personna(4) ....... Graydog horse ..... Captain's Choice Bay rum .......... Nivea Protect & Care balm

Swapped out the tech's handle for a heavier and grippier one and I am happy to report that the shave was still excellent. Even though the razor feels totally different in the hand, the head profile delivers the goods.

Alas, the horsie continues to shed 4-8 hairs per shave and has pretty much been in this ballpark since I received it about 5 years ago. Makes me thankful that this knot still performs despite the loss. Somewhere down the road, I will need to retire it (but keep the handle!), but that's not today.

Mar.26: Tech(Brit)/Personna(5) ....... Graydog horse ..... Captain's Choice Bay rum .......... Nivea Protect & Care balm

I went back to the tech's normal ball-end handle this morning and, while the shave was great, the tiny handle still felt awkward in my hand. More shedding from the horsie, so I will let it dry out and then put it back in the drawer.

Mar.27: ASD2/KAI(1) ...................... Paladin Sumo ....... Captain's Choice Bay rum .......... Nivea Protect & Care balm

The ASD2 with a fresh KAI blade got the call this morning, as did my Paladin Sumo brush. My lather was thin and airy this morning, which just means tomorrow I will need to load more. Even so, it was slick enough to get two great passes out of it.

The weather (same temps and still snowing) means it is a great time for a morning walk. We head out in 30 mins or so.

Back