The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

... I say forget about the 3017 route ....
I'm not sure we can still be friends, Chris. :ROFLMAO:

As they say, "Variety is the spice of life." In my case, I guess the food equivalent to my soap approach is:
- I have just using salt on my eggs one month, black pepper in month-2, oregano in month-3, etc.....

Nota bene: For the past 20+ years, my work lunch has almost always been a peanut butter sandwich and a banana.

I'm the kind of guy that when I go in order my breakfast sandwich when I get to the counter the woman says tenderloin, egg and cheese? I say am I that predictable. She says lately. I say give me a bologna, egg and cheese I hate being predictable 😂

Last edited:
But I like bologna eggs! Some of the cheaper stuff I've eaten had "fat glob" eggs that tasted nummy-nummy when that slice was fried up.

Honestly Sam...I think you have a very respectable line-up of soaps there. Yeah...sure...some are better than others...but all of them are pretty decent to me. Except for that Dove...boy can't wait for you to use that one!

Yeah, Don, overall I am pretty happy with the vendors/products I own. The only thing I am looking to add is a Tabac shave stick so that I can reuse the container rather than using a deodorant or glue stick container. Right now, it's not worth buying, given how much stuff I have.

Yeah, Don, overall I am pretty happy with the vendors/products I own. The only thing I am looking to add is a Tabac shave stick so that I can reuse the container rather than using a deodorant or glue stick container. Right now, it's not worth buying, given how much stuff I have.
You know...you can buy those without buying the soap. It might be a little more difficult for you Canadians...but I am sure you can find it.

You can buy empty Tabac shave stick holders? :unsure:

If you're talking about the normal twist-ups like Mama Bear uses, I have had several in the past and not adverse to getting another one or two down the road. For some strange reason, I don't have one of those any more. Ghosts, ghouls and shave-stick goblins?

I think the Tabac stick is wider and since I love Tabac (but have not used it since I started 3017in back in Oct.2012!), why not grab the stick?

You can buy empty Tabac shave stick holders? :unsure:

If you're talking about the normal twist-ups like Mama Bear uses, I have had several in the past and not adverse to getting another one or two down the road. For some strange reason, I don't have one of those any more. Ghosts, ghouls and shave-stick goblins?

I think the Tabac stick is wider and since I love Tabac (but have not used it since I started 3017in back in Oct.2012!), why not grab the stick?
Oops...my bad...never mind...carry on...nothing to see here... 🤪

We both need more java!
5a1e2b9634dc2dc2b2947dcd9adc6cb17ba90c6b.gif

Wow, it's been a week since I posted here. 🙈🙉🙊

The garden is coming along nicely, especially with the tomatoes now ripening up at a nice enough pace to challenge my consumption ability, but the corn was a failure as the kernels were too dried out, looking like molars with the center indentation. Plums are all done and were great while they lasted, but the apples look few and far between (and of poor quality) for this year.

Shavewise, I continue to work through my TTFFC Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit. The Yaqi brush provided good results for a 2-pass shave, but a week with a Shavemac 2-band gave me the previous norm of 1st-pass = good, 2nd-pass = near latherless. Starting tomorrow, my @Graydog horsie is lined up for its week of service.

Good report Sam!

We’ve had some successes and failures in our garden too. The most consistent performers seems to be our fig tree, tomato plants, and our peach tree is just now producing good enough fruit to make a cobbler! It’s been pretty fun!

We have no kids, so my "Look what we made, honey!" pride has to be transferred to our garden produce. 💃 🕺 The kids next door (and their grandmother!) are after their dad to start a garden the past few years. We always have them over to try to identify what is growing where as well as smell/taste the fresh herbs, and of course, to help us eat things they get to pick/pull themselves!

Back