The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Tonight marks the first time that my wife has tried to use used clippers on my head other than for a full no-guard cut. Using the Dave-barberclippers from the April yard sale, I cut in 90%+ of a fade and coaxed and cajoled her into helping blend it on the back of my head. I could tell she was nervous due to her deeper breathing and slow strokes with the clipper.

In the end, she did a better job than I would do by myself and I am sure that once she figures out that she can't really ruin my hair (I used to shave it, so there's no such thing as a bad cut, just a lower cut!) and gets used to holding the clippers more, she'll do just fine as a home barber for me!

Tonight marks the first time that my wife has tried to use used clippers on my head other than for a full no-guard cut. Using the Dave-barberclippers from the April yard sale, I cut in 90%+ of a fade and coaxed and cajoled her into helping blend it on the back of my head. I could tell she was nervous due to her deeper breathing and slow strokes with the clipper.

In the end, she did a better job than I would do by myself and I am sure that once she figures out that she can't really ruin my hair (I used to shave it, so there's no such thing as a bad cut, just a lower cut!) and gets used to holding the clippers more, she'll do just fine as a home barber for me!
Mama flat refuses to cut my hair. *sigh*

For a while I had the missus cut my hair as well with clippers; when she got tired of doing it, I had to learn myself...that was hard! I still take forever one the back if I have to do it. She just helps once in a while now with that back part a couple minutes vs like 15 minutes difference lol.

I haven’t been to a hair place for myself in about 4 years or so. We’ve taken to doing our boys’ hair as well, saves a ton...well until the missus decides she needs her hair professionally done anyway...then it about evens out lol.

Don't let it go to her head! 🤪

I have about a week left with my wonderful* TTFFC Pink Grapefruit (hopefully less) and the it's on to what should be a quickie with a trvel size container of Dove Shave Gel. I'll try this with a brush at the start.

I have about a week left with my wonderful* TTFFC Pink Grapefruit (hopefully less) and the it's on to what should be a quickie with a trvel size container of Dove Shave Gel. I'll try this with a brush at the start.
At least it's just a trial size! Why Sam...Why? Why do you subject yourself to such inhumane experiments?

All finished! Last shave with the TTFFC Pink Grapefruit this morning. Woo-hoo!!! 🕺
Now onto the Dove shave gel. Woo-hoo???? :unsure: Should I post a review thread of this given that it will only last around 2 weeks?

First shave with gel in oh so many years (probably more than a decade) and it well well enough. Some quick observations:
- smells VERY different than a soap (much more "artificial")
- slick
- non-dissipating (take THAT, you evil soaps!)
- much more lather residue floating in the sink than with soaps/creams (chemical composition?)
- why do my hands look like I am palm-lathering both hands? (gonna try my Yaqi synth, so as not to mess up a natural hair brush)

All in all, not too bad from a functional/performance perspective, but not using a brush feels strange.

Back