The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

The grapefruit scent can be fleeting. Do you get the impression that it’s scented with natural materials, or is it better living through chemistry?

For a 4 year old croap puck, Bob, it has retained a nice scent. The ingredients say it uses essential oils, with no mention of FOs, so I would assume this is all natural when it comes to the scent. It's not an overpowering scent; easily noticable when opening the container and lathering, but delicate enough for me to go nose-blind to it partially through the shave.

When 3017ing a soap, I usually "load it like I love it," meaning that I load enough for the shave and that's it. The goal is not to underload, nor to consume the soap at a faster than necessary rate. I am starting to shift my thinking for soaps that are in the "Die already!" category to "load it like I hate." :ROFLMAO:

I've had to start doing the same. I have a few LE soaps, but there'll be more in the future. Load it like you hate it, Sam!

I agree! Load it like you hate it. If you have to use it...get rid of it as soon as you can!

Since I'm going to be stumbling through the next while with the TTFFC soap, I might as well compound my suffering starting tomorrow by using the second (and last!) cart that came with the Mach-3 handle I purchased at WallyMart a few years ago.

Have not posted some garden updates for a while now. Things are progressing nicely IMO with the box gardens on the side of the house.

Beets in a box garden
1564863725262.png

Another garden box with beets, tomatoes, romaine and red leaf lettuce
1564863801203.png

A third box (this one is a jungle!) with some eggplant, tomatoes and a beet plant gone seedy
1564863912352.png

Corn is coming along nicely
1564863947213.png

At the back of the house, we have planted only tomatoes in the "flowerbed" under our bedroom window, as this gets full sun.

Heirlooms, Cherokee in the foreground and Indigo Apple in the the rear
1564864104315.png

Even more Indigo Apples! These are very creamy tasting when the bottom turns orange/red.
1564864168001.png

And finally, a very laden plum tree that we are now feasting on daily as they ripen!
1564864200653.png

That all looks great Sam. Well, except for the beets. :sick:

We simply love beets. Instead of pickling them, we simply over roast them as follows:
- simple rinse
- cut in half (top to root)
- lay out with cut side up on a cookie sheet lined with foil (use enough to be able to tent them)
- brush cut section with olive oil
- tent with foil
- roast at 375F for 60 mins

They are awesome this way.

Great garden! But beets really? They always taste like dirt. I don't like to eat dirt.

Back