The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Feb.13: ASD2 w/Feather(13) ........... Chubby-2 synth ...... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Happy Sunday, everyone! I wish I could say that my lather this morning was celebration worthy, but it's not. Okay, I guess I COULD say it; it just wouldn't be correct. 😜

Feb.14: ASD2 w/Feather(14) ........... Chubby-2 synth ...... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Valentine's Day! What a wonderful day of the year to show those around you how much they mean to you. In other words, "I love you today, but not so much for all the other days of the year, honey." 🤡Yeah, what a great thing it is. I try each and every day to ensure my wife knows that I love her and don't take her for granted.

Today's Williams shave was late at ~2pm ET as I was involved in financial/estate/tax planning all of the morning. It's something I do several times during the year. It's much more rewarding than mundane office work.

Feb.15: ASD2 w/Feather(15) ........... Chubby-2 synth ...... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Even though it is mid-February, and even though I am in Canada, and even though it is nice and chilly outside this morning (-11C/12F), I decided to use some Proraso pre/post-shave before face lathering. Yeah, scary stuff!! But my thought was that I couldn't make the lather any worse, right?

And guess what?

Everything turned out pretty good, even with the face freeze. The lather was still sub-standard but was much better than before and didn't evaporate as quickly as it used to.

With this in mind, I have now mixed about a good-sized *blop* of the Proraso pre/post-shave into my Williams. We'll see how it goes from here. What have I got to lose?

Feb.16: ASD2 w/Feather(16) ........... Chubby-2 synth ...... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

BOOM!!!!

The experiment to mix some Proraso pre/post-shave into my grated Williams was a resounding success!! In fact, I think this might have been the best lather I have ever gotten from modern Williams; vintage pucks are a totally different (in a good way) soap IMO.

I am actually looking forward to tomorrow's shave! OMG!!

Feb.17: ASD2 w/Feather(17) ........... Chubby-2 synth ...... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Another nice lather from the Williams & Proraso pre/post-shave mixture. Still not as good as a "normal" shave soap, but much better for me than modern Williams alone.

Feb.19: ASD2 w/Feather(19) ........... Paladin Sumo .......... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Yup, the Paladin knot now generates a very nice lather with the Williams. At least, I've figured out how to lather Williams; make it pseudo-Williams! I'll go back to the Chubby synth tomorrow.

The Feather blade is struggling and I really should swap it out.

Feb.19: ASD2 w/Feather(19) ........... Paladin Sumo .......... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Yup, the Paladin knot now generates a very nice lather with the Williams. At least, I've figured out how to lather Williams; make it pseudo-Williams! I'll go back to the Chubby synth tomorrow.

The Feather blade is struggling and I really should swap it out.
That lotion trick works great with Williams, I've done it too.

Now stop cheaping out, and swap that blade!

Feb.20: ASD2 w/Feather(20) ........... Semogue 1460 ....... Williams .................................. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Surprise!!!! I used my Semogue 1460 boar instead of reverting to the CH2-synth this morning. I was happy to see the the "new and improved" Williams performed just as good with the boar as it did with the Paladin and Chubby synth.

Alas, the Feather blade did not survive after the shave. Even with flipping the blade, there was still too much tugging and pulling. I will plop a fresh Feather in the ASD2 tomorrow morning.

Back