The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Yesterday was my first day on the job as an accountant for a local company. I expected it to be a day of orientation, watching videos, and signing off of lots of forms like WHMIS and other things. After a tour of the facility and a walk-around introduction to almost everyone in corporate, I now know the important things:
- where the bathrooms are (as you get older, this becomes more and more important! :ROFLMAO:)
- where the coffee machine is (which leads to the importance of the above!)
- where the emergency muster point is (also fairly important)

I also learned that if you can log 50 entries for working out 30mins in their on-site gym, you get a day off! Nice incentive that I have never seen anywhere else. I asked if I work out on MON-TUE-WED all day, do I get FRI off? The HR lady gave me a funny look over the top of her glasses before laughing and saying that I am the first to ask that question but it was a nice try. BTW the official answer was you can only log 30mins a day, but you are welcome to work out longer.

As for my workday, by 10am I was being instructed in how to validate and enter billing for fuel for their truckers (they do warehousing/shipping and are a combo of employees and owner/operator vehicles) and then I spent the day reconciling things and data entry. Pretty interesting trying to figure out some the the typos that the truckers make, but I'm getting there. More of the same today (they were backlogged a few weeks) and I was told I will be given something entirely different today as well so that I do not get bored (which caused me to actually laugh when the director mentioned it).

Anyways, off I go! Strangely enough, my wife is much faster in the morning now so that she doesn't have to take the bus to work. Funny how time constraints motivate her; didn't happen when I was a student! :ROFLMAO:

Happy pre-July.4th!!!! ....... or as we say in Canada, "Happy two days after Canada Day!" 🤪

Sounds like a pretty good place to work and that you are probably going to fit right in!

I am not sure which of the two packages I am more excited about today.

Two chess books....

or 1.5kg (3.4 lbs) or soap made by a division of the company I now work for.
These tallow soaps smell wonderful! Too bad they do not manufacture any shaving products.

4/5ths of my Payroll course homework assignments due Tuesday are done today. Whew, just one more to go and then only a single small one left (plus final) to close off the course next month. Not sure I will continue with the certification route as I will need 1 year of payroll work experience within 5 years (clock starts ticking when you start the first course) and, speaking with my Director, she says that there are no plans to bring payroll processing in-house. I'm not sure that my calculation/verification/entry of driver's hours (I now work for a shipping/warehousing company) would be acceptable for that "experience" sign-off. Meh, the purpose of the cert in the first place was to make me more marketable in my job search. I can always do the other 2 courses later, if needed.

4/5ths of my Payroll course homework assignments due Tuesday are done today. Whew, just one more to go and then only a single small one left (plus final) to close off the course next month. Not sure I will continue with the certification route as I will need 1 year of payroll work experience within 5 years (clock starts ticking when you start the first course) and, speaking with my Director, she says that there are no plans to bring payroll processing in-house. I'm not sure that my calculation/verification/entry of driver's hours (I now work for a shipping/warehousing company) would be acceptable for that "experience" sign-off. Meh, the purpose of the cert in the first place was to make me more marketable in my job search. I can always do the other 2 courses later, if needed.
Anyone or non-profit you can volunteer to payroll for?

Anyone or non-profit you can volunteer to payroll for?
Their definition of 1-year is "1-year full-time equavalent," which means that for the next five years I would need to put in an extra day per week. If processing payroll was 40% of your position, you would need to be in the position for 2.5 years to gain the year experience. Even my 13 years of running payroll for my own small consulting firm (most times just me, but sometimes brought the wife on) counts for naught as the company is not arms-length from me. *sigh*

In the end, all is good. I shall complete my current course and play it by ear from here on out. Got perfect on my major assignment and now only need to get 65% on the final to earn the credit. It's a simple Pass/Fail grading system with Pass=65%.

First shave with the TTFFC Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit soap this morning. Yes, the Shaving Yeti is dead! :p I'll post a more indepth TTFFC review on the weekend in the review thread I started for it, after I get a few shaves with it under my belt.

Initial impressions are :
- it smells nice without being overpowering,
- now has a texture just a little softer than Arko, which enabled me to make a shave stick as well as keeping a tub format,
- it tingled a little while I was shaving with it (let's see if this is a one-off or not),
- it quickly provided a nice lather for pass-1,
- I need to work on the soap/water balance as the pass-2 lather was thin and squeezing the brush released a runny slop.

I.E..... Better than the Yeti! 😜

I’ll bet anything’s better than Yeti at this point so soon after finishing it lol.

Back