The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Remember when this guy was busy because of his new role? Man, those were the days...

I kid!
I attribute it to everyone on vacation and I’m stuck waiting for one of my engineers to run a report for the customer…………Now I could have chosen to use that time to catch up on everything and also prepare for next week - but…..

1640199714346.gif

Dec.23: ASD2 w/Astra SP(3) ............. Yaqi Sagrada .......... Lisa's Doc Holiday .................... Nivea Protect & Care balm

The Yaqi Sagrada Familia synth (or Sangria Family, as I call it) was a hit from the day I first used it back in 2019, and at once it stood out as a stellar brush. I think it is much better that then EJ STF synth, but as always, YMMV. I'll use my CH2 synth tomorrow and there's another synth or two in the basement that I will take for a test run as well.

We're having my nephew (grown man) and my sister-in-law over this evening for Christmas dinner as it is the only day everyone's schedules work. Should be a nice evening.

Dec.24: ASD2 w/KAI(1) .................... Chubby 2, synth ..... Lisa's Doc Holiday .................... Nivea Protect & Care balm

BOOM!! The Chubby 2 synthetic delivers! Honestly, I would have been surprised if it didn't; it's a GREAT brush.

Small family gathering for Christmas dinner yesterday (3 family members came over, all vegetarian) and it was an enjoyable 100% vegetarian meal with a stuffed soy turkey roll with gravy packs. As strange as that sounds, it was actually REALLY GOOD! Cauliflower, beets, carrots, mashed potatoes and dinner rolls (plus vino!) made for a very satisfying meal.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Have a Merry Christmas!

200w.gif

May a great ham grace you next year

giphy.gif

Dec.25: ASD2 w/KAI(2) .................... APShave Synbad ..... Lisa's Doc Holiday .................... Nivea Protect & Care balm

A late Christmas shave for me. Even though I was up early, I choose a coffee and watching the news over a shower'n'shave. Then breakfast came along, followed by gift opening and then a 1 hr walk by the lake. The turkey went in the oven about an hour ago, so the majority of my work is done. I guess I should have lunch now (3:30) as the bird will be another 3 hours or so.

The AP Shave Co synbad is a 30mm knot but doesn't feels a large as the CH2 synth on the face, most likely due to density differences. I was concerned that it wasn't loading well enough, but when I face lathering, yup, it works just fine. Maybe a bit more backbone would be better, but no issues at all with the knot fibre itself. Both it and the brush for the shave shave (Paragon synth) are from Ed's BST-3 listing in mid-November. I was hoping they would have sold, but if they work out, I'll be more than happy to have them stay right here. Speaking of Ed (Merry Christmas, buddy!), when I picked up a (final) box from his wife last week, she asked what I have kept for myself so far and she was VERY surprised when I said just a boar brush with a chipped handle. "Take more!" was her reply, and I just might snag these for myself if they go unclaimed.

BTW, to date, I have remitted $2,000 CAD to her from the sales (almost all from The Cadre ...minus shipping expenses) and she wanted me to pass on her gratitude and thanks. She is touched by the amount of support you have shown and now understands why Ed hung out with us so much. You are indeed a special bunch.

Merry Christmas, Cadre!

Dec.26: ASD2 w/KAI(3) .................... Paragon synth ........ Lisa's Doc Holiday .................... Nivea Protect & Care balm

Christmas dinner was pretty good last night: turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, shrimp fried rice, sweet potatoes, brussel spouts, broccolini, carrots, beets and dinner rolls.

The shave this morning was good as well. The Paragon BLS-1's knot is VERY nice. The handle felt a little strange but it wasn't uncomfortable. A few more shaves with it will determine whether this is a keeper.

Back