The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Dec.18: ASD2 w/KAI(2) ..................... Semogue 1460 .... Mama Bears Bay Rhum............. Nivea Protect & Care balm

My Mama Bears puck is almost done. I envision maybe another shave or two left on it, which basically means that it will probably finish in February! After this, I will tackle ~1/2 puck of LNHC's Doc Holiday

Dec.19: ASD2 w/KAI(3) ..................... RV Shavemac ....... Mama Bears Bay Rhum............. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Broke out my RV Shavemac for a run this morning. The 24mm knot is close to the Paladin's 26mm, but the Paladin is a much larger knot side by side. Nonetheless, the Shavemac did a pretty good job on the Mama Bears and I the soap WILL finish tomorrow.

Geting ready to head over to my brother's for an early Christmas dinner. We skipped last years (lockdown was in effect) and while our case #s are shooting up, we're all double-vax'd. I'm still more than a little concerned, but will push through.

In addition to Christmas gifts, I'll be bringing over a dopp bag full of goodies for my nephew. It was supposed to be for his 15th BDay last summer, but we have not met in person since late 2019. Contents include, a pristine black handle SS, blades galore, a Yaqi Sagrada synth, alum, styptic, Proraso cream, Mama Bears soap, two aftershaves, razor+brush stand, lather bow, and a leather travel pouch for the brush and another for the razor.

Dec.19: ASD2 w/KAI(3) ..................... RV Shavemac ....... Mama Bears Bay Rhum............. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Broke out my RV Shavemac for a run this morning. The 24mm knot is close to the Paladin's 26mm, but the Paladin is a much larger knot side by side. Nonetheless, the Shavemac did a pretty good job on the Mama Bears and I the soap WILL finish tomorrow.

Geting ready to head over to my brother's for an early Christmas dinner. We skipped last years (lockdown was in effect) and while our case #s are shooting up, we're all double-vax'd. I'm still more than a little concerned, but will push through.

In addition to Christmas gifts, I'll be bringing over a dopp bag full of goodies for my nephew. It was supposed to be for his 15th BDay last summer, but we have not met in person since late 2019. Contents include, a pristine black handle SS, blades galore, a Yaqi Sagrada synth, alum, styptic, Proraso cream, Mama Bears soap, two aftershaves, razor+brush stand, lather bow, and a leather travel pouch for the brush and another for the razor.
Enjoy your time with your family!

Dec.20: ASD2 w/KAI(4) ..................... RV Shavemac ....... Mama Bears Bay Rhum............. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Finished off the Mama Bears Bay Rhum soap this morning with shave-4 on the KAI blade. New blade tomorrow and I'll also be tackling my 1/2 puck of Lisa's Doc Holiday.

0.jpg

Dinner at my brother's place went very well. Took about 30 mins to feel comfortable in "new" company (no in-person visit with them since late 2019) and all was good.

Gave my nephew his shave kit and went through the process with him in the bathroom away from everyone else. He was using an electric, even though his dad has a Progress and Kent BK4 from me for a few years now. He felt a little awkward/embarrassed getting instruction (he turned 15 last summer) but was attentive and sniffed stuff including test lathering (bowl and face), a no-blade shave run to try to get the angle, as well as his 1st ever aftershave application (Proraso!). I told him that he can Facetime if he ever has any questions and to expect a few nicks along the learning curve (alum + styptic pencil included). Even if he doesn't stick with a DE, I told him the brush+soaps+aftershave is better for his skin than if he were to use a can of foam.

With my niece (nephew listened for the first 15 mins) who is now 18 and working part-time while in university, we spoke about TFSAs-vs-RRSPs-vs-nonRegistered trading accounts and how each works for tax purposes (at the 10,000ft level). Also explained the difference between stocks and mutual funds and ETFs and she clicked in pretty good to my analogy of mutual funds and ETF's being "soup" with lots on ingredients (stocks); mutual funds being brand name soup which costs more than the same soup in a no-name container, even though they're made in the same factory. Timing was great as she was already set to visit a bank with her dad to open a TFSA this week. Now she know to open a self-directed one, so she can get the no-name "soup" and keep more of her money. It's a start!

Last edited:
Dec.21: ASD2 w/Astra SP(1) ............. RazoRock Bruce .... Lisa's Doc Holiday .................... Nivea Protect & Care balm

I used Lisa's Doc Holiday for the first time today. A nice "dark" scent, much heavier than my normal florals and herbs preference. In fact, almost an hour after shaving, I'm still getting the scent. This appears to be a "low structure" soap, as there's was not much volume but loads of slickness with an easily attained glossiness when face lathering.

Also used a RazoRock Bruce for the first time. The Plissoft knot doesn't seem to want to splay for my initial scrub-lather, but is very suitable for paintbrush strokes. Alas, I splay/scrub for 20-30secs and then paintbrush, so I'm not sure this brush will stick around.

Interesting the Bruce isn’t working for ya! I find the Big Bruce to be rather like a boar but a bit softer. Maybe the loss of loft on the shorter version really doesn’t help that older synth knot.

The Plissoft knot was probably the first "good" synthetic, but I've gotten used to the more modern Tuxedo and Simpsons Sovereign fibres, which are amazing! The Plissoft is still heads above the Asylum knot, but I think the issue with the Asylum is simply that it is set way too low.

I used Lisa's Doc Holiday for the first time today.

Also used a RazoRock Bruce for the first time.
Whoooeeee! Been a wild time at the Mr Pusher house today!

You know, if you use a different brush and soap each day, you learn to adjust on the fly to the different qualities of each. Just sayin'.

Dec.22: ASD2 w/Astra SP(2) ............. EJ synth ................ Lisa's Doc Holiday .................... Nivea Protect & Care balm

Over to the Edwin Jagger synth (L, not XL) and it was a noticeable step up from the RR Bruce. I'll break out my Yaqi and CH2 synths as well so as to get an apples-apples a synth-synth-synth-synth comparison to better judge the knots.

Back