The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Older daughter at College in Montreal told me that she broke out her Canadian Winter Coat over the weekend. The American Winter Coat doesn't cut it up there. It's a ritual for all of the non-Canadians to go shopping for a 'proper' winter coat once they get there. She's also regretting taking the apartment on the hill, what with the ice that no one clears and all.

Nov.30: Injector I2 w/Personna(2) ..... Semogue 1460 .... Mama Bears Bay Rhum............. Nivea Protect & Care balm

Bowl lathered with the boar this morning and it did make a difference. I think that I was simply adding too much water through my tip-dipping when face lathering for pass-1 in the past. More experimentation is needed. Weather-wise, just below freezing, so that is a nice improvement over yesterday.

Today's workout was:
- 30 mins elliptical
Sam needs to do a polar bear plunge shave!

Older daughter at College in Montreal told me that she broke out her Canadian Winter Coat over the weekend. The American Winter Coat doesn't cut it up there. It's a ritual for all of the non-Canadians to go shopping for a 'proper' winter coat once they get there. She's also regretting taking the apartment on the hill, what with the ice that no one clears and all.
I bought the wife and I two LL Bean down parkas a while back, and when we were both still commuting by L train in downtown Chicago, she stuck out because she *wasn't* wearing a Canada Goose jacket. Not sure when that became the fashionable winter coat here in Chicagoland but they are CRAZY expensive. Have to imagine they serve more fashion than function these days...

I bought the wife and I two LL Bean down parkas a while back, and when we were both still commuting by L train in downtown Chicago, she stuck out because she *wasn't* wearing a Canada Goose jacket. Not sure when that became the fashionable winter coat here in Chicagoland but they are CRAZY expensive. Have to imagine they serve more fashion than function these days...

Yeah, $800 for a coat is insane. She and her friends found the department store close to campus that specializes in winter coats, got helped by a very nice salesperson and walked out with a very nice, effective coat at a fraction the cost.

"Salut. Je parle francias, mais seulement un peu. Qu'est-ce que tu parles anglais?" Is a useful thing to learn if you're in Quebec.

I tried my version of that in the IKEA in the Montreal suburbs and the salesperson took pity on me and offered to speak English instead. That saved her from me using English with a Clouseau-esque accent for my version of French.

I tried my version of that in the IKEA in the Montreal suburbs and the salesperson took pity on me and offered to speak English instead. That saved her from me using English with a Clouseau-esque accent for my version of French.
Well, believe it or not, demonstrating that you are totally mangling the french language is the purpose. Basically, as long as you make the effort to speak french, most Quebecers will then switch into english for you. However, if you just start speaking english, depending on the person, they are more likely to look at you like you are speaking mumbo-jumbo and they do not understand (even if they are perfectly fluent in english). Yes, some would rather lose business on a point of linguistic/cultural pride.

Last edited:
Well, believe it or not, demonstrating that you are totally mangling the french language is the purpose. Basically, as long as you make the effort to speak french, most Quebecers will then switch into english for you. However, if you just start speaking english, depending on the person, they are more likely to look at you like you are speaking mumbo-jumbo and they do not understand (even if they are perfectly fluent in english). Yes, some would rather lose business on a point of linguistic/cultural pride.
My wife and I spent Canadian Thanksgiving in Quebec a while back and having spent a year living in France, my wife was well-aware of the need to try and show you're making an effort before falling back to English. This was completely foreign to me so had it not been for my wife, I think I would have been in trouble!

Dec.01: Injector I2 w/Personna(3) ..... Semogue 1460 .... Mama Bears Bay Rhum............. Nivea Protect & Care balm

I gave the 1460's knot a soak in a borax + hot water solution (not anywhere near super hot, but hotter than my normal shave water) for about 45 minutes yesterday, agitating every 10-15 minutes. The knot might have appreciated the bath, but the handle sure didn't. Even soaking about 1cm (~ 1/2 inch) below the handle, the already cracking paint job decided to go all-in with a 7-2 offsuit, resulting in....
0.jpg

Today's shave was okay, with more work still needed on the soap-water ratio for this knot. That may be a moot issue though, as I am not sure how much longer this brush will survive.😵

Today's workout was:
- 30 mins elliptical

Back