The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Just received the paperwork for the job offer. My start date is Jul 2nd, so I have one more week of "freedom." Alas, for my wife it means that she will need to start taking the bus to work as I start at 8am. If it was 8:30, I could drop her at her office as I currently do.

Just received the paperwork for the job offer. My start date is Jul 2nd, so I have one more week of "freedom." Alas, for my wife it means that she will need to start taking the bus to work as I start at 8am. If it was 8:30, I could drop her at her office as I currently do.
Congratulations!

I think if I were in that transportation situation, I’d take the loss and be ready the half hour earlier, to avoid having to take publicly transportation, lol. I’d use the time to eat breakfast or something.

I'm up bright and early, even on weekends. It's .... ummm ...... someone else that can't manage to go to bed at a reasonable hour and pays the price each and every weekday morning. :ROFLMAO:

Outstanding!

Congrats Sam!
You could lock black K up in g7, 8. K to f3, H to g3 and than Q to h2:unsure:

Congratulations!

I think if I were in that transportation situation, I’d take the loss and be ready the half hour earlier, to avoid having to take publicly transportation, lol. I’d use the time to eat breakfast or something.
I agree. There are too many "interesting" smells with public transportation.

Congrats Sam!
You could lock black K up in g7, K to f3, H to g3 and than Q to h2:unsure:
Eating lather does terrible things to one's brain. 🤪

LOL but I think you are only a few typos away from hitting the right mating position.

Starting from the position below, the black-K is locked into a large triangle of squares in the bottom right of the screen. Mate can only be delivered if the corner square matches the colour of the squares controlled by the bishop. If the black-K isn't locked into either the h1 or a8 triangle when you have a white-square bishop, you must force him there. Notice how the B+N being separated by one square form the wall?

After
81. Kd1 Kf2 82. Kd2 Kf3 83.Kd3 Kf2 84. Bh5 Kg3
85. Ke3 Kh4 86. Be2 Kg3 87. Ng5 Kh4 88. Ne4
we have reduced the black-K movement into a smaller triangle.

Now to squeeze him down into the g1-h1-h2 triangle.
88... Kh3 89. Kf4 Kh3 90. Kf5 Kh3 91. Kg5 (control the h4 square by getting your K to g5, very similar motif as to how we started out at move 81)
91... Kg2 92. Kg4 Kh2 (If Kg1, white would play Kg3 then Bf1) 93. Bf1 (now the small triangle is complete!)
93... Kg1 94. Bh3 Kh2 (Now to reposition the N while the K+B maintain the small triangle)
95. Nd2 Kg1 96. Kg3 (bazinga! lock-down complete)
96.... Kh1 97. Bg2+ Kg1 98. Nf3#

There are a few sequences that would deliver the mate from the starting position a little quicker, but I thought this was the best to demonstrate the theme of "reducing the triangle."

Thanks for following along!

Back