The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

My bones hurt just seeing this... 🥶
One night a brutal Lake Effect snow storm hit the NYS Thruway while I was doing my nightly tractor trailer line haul from Syracuse to Buffalo. Par for the course, by this one was particularly blinding. I knew every curve on that route and every snow driving trick, so I was prepared. Suddenly, the CB lit up with panicked voices in a Southern drawl. I slowed down in the right lane, put on my fog lights, and went full blinker on my chicken lights. I told my Southern brethren to form a convoy behind me and I would lead them safely to the next truck stop to ride it out. I was the pied piper to ten rigs that night and we all got to the truck stop safely. We went to the diner and mashed a bunch of tables together to eat while we rode out the storm. My money was no good that night. Wish I had a dollar for every time someone said, “Y’all crazy….”

One night a brutal Lake Effect snow storm hit the NYS Thruway while I was doing my nightly tractor trailer line haul from Syracuse to Buffalo. Par for the course, by this one was particularly blinding. I knew every curve on that route and every snow driving trick, so I was prepared. Suddenly, the CB lit up with panicked voices in a Southern drawl. I slowed down in the right lane, put on my fog lights, and went full blinker on my chicken lights. I told my Southern brethren to form a convoy behind me and I would lead them safely to the next truck stop to ride it out. I was the pied piper to ten rigs that night and we all got to the truck stop safely. We went to the diner and mashed a bunch of tables together to eat while we rode out the storm. My money was no good that night. Wish I had a dollar for every time someone said, “Y’all crazy….”
Yeah, here where I live, everything shuts down at the mere mention of snow!

No, not really, but it does seem like it. I lived for a while in northern Illinois, right on Lake Michigan so I know what you mean about lake-effect brutalities. Talk about out of my element! I remember the first time I saw people lighting fires under their cars on purpose! 😲 I eventually learned how to drive in winter's mess. Now I gotta laugh at my fellow Southerners when the white stuff is mentioned.

Yeah, here where I live, everything shuts down at the mere mention of snow!

No, not really, but it does seem like it. I lived for a while in northern Illinois, right on Lake Michigan so I know what you mean about lake-effect brutalities. Talk about out of my element! I remember the first time I saw people lighting fires under their cars on purpose! 😲 I eventually learned how to drive in winter's mess. Now I gotta laugh at my fellow Southerners when the white stuff is mentioned.

Amen. The hardest part at night is not to stare at the incoming flakes or they will hypnotize you. Crack the window and gauge where you are on the road by keeping the reflective markers in your peripheral vision. No pedal brakes, just the exhaust break. If you start to jackknife don’t fight the wheel but keep your eyes were you want to end up. Damn I miss it sometimes!

Amen. The hardest part at night is not to stare at the incoming flakes or they will hypnotize you.
Like going through hyperspace!

giphy.gif

Good story.

Back