The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

I did end up going with a night shave with this soap on Wednesday.

Razor: Rockwell 6c
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Dragonsbeard
Aftershave: Dragonsbeard Skin Food
EDP: Banana Republic Oud Mosaic

First off, the scent of this soap is outstanding. I loved it from the first lid removal and sniff. Masculine with a bit of animalic(from the oud I expect), no one will be mistaking this for unisex. There is something really familiar about the scent, but I can't seem to place it. I didn't notice the vanilla directly from the tub, but it started to come out as the shave progressed.

I scooped an almond sized dollop from the tub, put it in my preferred sample bowl, and got to it. I added a bit more water while face lathering than intended and ended up over hydrating, and by the time I got to the third pass the lather was pretty watery. The extra hydration of the soap didn't detract from the shave, though I did skip a clean up pass because of it. There was more than enough slickness for the 6c to skate across, and enough residual slickness to do some moderate blade buffing where needed in the trouble areas. Three passes netted me a DFS+ that was a barely-there scritch in the trouble spots from being BBS. I held off on using the aftershave for a few minutes to see how my skin felt from just the soap, and I was impressed. It's really hard to describe, but my skin felt really clean. I did notice some slight discomfort during and for a little while after the shave, but there was no accompanying redness. Based on responses to previous posts I expect this was the skin goodies in the soap and aftershave doing their work.

As mentioned before, the vanilla didn't really start to come out until during the shave and it seemed to increase a bit as the shave went on. The aftershave seemed almost opposite of the soap, as there was very little oud and a lot of vanilla. It smelled even better than the soap. I used a hefty splash(or glug as @dangerousdon would say), and even considering how many posts have mentioned it I was still surprised by how fast it soaked in. It was like my skin could breathe and was inhaling it almost as fast as it was applied. My face felt great for some time after, though there was a bit of dryness after 40 minutes or so and I had to use my usual moisturizer. I remember now reading about using a second application of the aftershave, but didn't think about it at the time.

A few sprays of Oud Mosaic capped everything off nicely. I really like this juice. It's a pretty typical Rose/Saffron/Oud for the most part, though there is a plum note that makes it stand out. It's a very jammy plum, and the sweetness is offset nicely by the dryness of the saffron.

vlG9ufil.jpg

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Saturday's shave

Razor: Robert Williams
Brush: Rudy Vey
Aftershave: Dragonsbeard
EDP: Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser

Ok, so this was Saturday evening's shave, and I went with a badger knot and traditional straight razor. The RV is a nice brush, and the knot has just the right balance of backbone and flop for me. It would be the best badger I've ever used except that it has lost at least one hair per shave since the first the first time I used it. Regardless of it's shedding issues it did a fantastic job whipping up a lather with this soap.

I took some extra time with this shave, partly to properly judge the slickness of this soap with a traditional straight, and partly to see if the mild discomfort I've felt during the last two shaves would increase in intensity the longer the lather was on my face. Regarding the slickness, I've been spoiled by a lot of the soaps I use going above and beyond in this area, so I'd put it at close to the minimum amount of slickness I prefer with a traditional straight razor. As for the discomfort, it has never been more than mild and it seemed to be less intense than before during this shave. It did not increase at all with extra face time, and there has never been any redness, so I can safely say that it is not a reaction to an ingredient in the soap or AS.

The usual three passes and a bit of clean up left me with a DFS+, which is the norm for a straight razor lately. I love the feeling of the final rinse with this soap, as it leaves my skin feeling more refreshed than any other product I've used. I also love the way the aftershave soaks right in, though it is not quite moisturizing enough for my skin by itself, and I do need to use a dab of my usual moisturizer. A couple sprays of Memoirs of a Trespasser and I was good to go. This frag goes GREAT with Dragonsbeard.

All in all I'd buy both Dragonsbeard soap and AS in a heartbeat, and would probably 3017 them to see how they affect my skin over many uses. Frank has managed to produce a product that is both effective and unique, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else he comes up with in the future.

NvwUC9dl.jpg

Today's shave

Razor: Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: Rudy Vey badger
EDP: Amouage Sunshine Man

I used Dragonsbeard one more time for consistency's sake. First shave with the Vector, on loan from @Dave in KY. I used the Proline that he sent me, which has a shave on it already. This is only the second modern SE that I've tried, the other being the Colonial General, and I was impressed. Finding the angle was pretty intuitive, and the slender head profile let it maneuver around my face with ease. A fantastic BBS was achieved, though a small blood sacrifice was required. A few sprays of Sunshine man ended the shave beautifully. It doesn't really match the AS, but they worked well together.

I currently prefer the ProGuard to the Proline, but I'm going to keep using the Schick for a few more shaves before I make a final judgement. Many thanks to Dave for letting me use this beauty. I'm looking forward to a few more shaves on it.

Half the house is sick or getting sick, including a couple of co-workers, so things have been downright crazy the last couple of days. The rest of us have had to step up, and I can't wait until everyone is back at 100% so I can get some rest lol. Thanks for reading and have a great night!

Blade: ProGuard
Brush: TSC Legacy
EDT: B&M Hallows

Second shave with the loaner Vector, and I swapped out the Proline with my last(for now) ProGuard. I've got about 4 shaves with the Dragonsbeard soap, and I continue to be very impressed with how my skin feels from it. Three passes with very minor clean up left me with a stellar BBS. No blood sacrifices today, and I'm preferring the ProGuard to the Proline. The Vector is a really nice razor, and I'd like to use it a few more times before deciding whether or not one will permanently grace the shave den.

I broke out the Hallows EDT that was sent to me by @bentheduck, and it paired surprisingly well with the Dragonsbeard aftershave. I get mostly a sweet vanilla from the aftershave, and it offset the darker nature of Hallows while adding depth. It has received a few compliments so far today, which surprised me. I love the scent, but I know better than to think that it's anything less than polarizing.

Still really busy at work, and even more guys are down sick today. We sent them all in for testing, and while most have colds, 2 have influenza. Time to break out the surgical masks.

Blade: ProGuard
Brush: TSC Legacy
EDT: B&M Hallows

Second shave with the loaner Vector, and I swapped out the Proline with my last(for now) ProGuard. I've got about 4 shaves with the Dragonsbeard soap, and I continue to be very impressed with how my skin feels from it. Three passes with very minor clean up left me with a stellar BBS. No blood sacrifices today, and I'm preferring the ProGuard to the Proline. The Vector is a really nice razor, and I'd like to use it a few more times before deciding whether or not one will permanently grace the shave den.

I broke out the Hallows EDT that was sent to me by @bentheduck, and it paired surprisingly well with the Dragonsbeard aftershave. I get mostly a sweet vanilla from the aftershave, and it offset the darker nature of Hallows while adding depth. It has received a few compliments so far today, which surprised me. I love the scent, but I know better than to think that it's anything less than polarizing.

Still really busy at work, and even more guys are down sick today. We sent them all in for testing, and while most have colds, 2 have influenza. Time to break out the surgical masks.

It is always good when you can avoid a blood sacrifice and get a great result.

I'm glad you're enjoying Hallows more than I did. Venessa made faces when I used it. :ROFLMAO:

Hope the sickness avoids your household at least!
I've had a cough for about a month. It's nothing like it was, but still present. All things considered, I've been sick more than enough already this winter lol.
It is always good when you can avoid a blood sacrifice and get a great result.
It really is. I still haven't tried the feather pro super, but out of the ones that I've used ProGuard is my favorite by a respectable margin.
I'm glad you're enjoying Hallows more than I did. Venessa made faces when I used it. :ROFLMAO:
I really am, and so are some of the people around me lol. Thanks again for that set, Ben.

I really like my Vector. Next blade for me will be the ProGuard. Good to read your take on them. (y)

it’s a good combo for me.
Getting to use Dragonsbeard and a Vector? At the Same Time? Worlds will collide!

It was an exciting shave lol.

Sorry I haven’t been around for a few days. I got a call from HR at the job I applied for. They offered me the position and I’m going in tomorrow morning to fill out paperwork. Then just wait for the background check and I’m in.
My BIL is moving to Kentucky for his job, and I’ve been at their place the last couple of days helping them get it ready to sell.
I’ve gotten a few shaves on the Vector, and will get the last shave before sending it back tomorrow when I get home. I’ll post my final thoughts on it then. Thanks again to @Dave in KY for letting me use it!
That’s all for now. Back to painting and I’ll be back soon!

it’s a good combo for me.

It was an exciting shave lol.

Sorry I haven’t been around for a few days. I got a call from HR at the job I applied for. They offered me the position and I’m going in tomorrow morning to fill out paperwork. Then just wait for the background check and I’m in.
My BIL is moving to Kentucky for his job, and I’ve been at their place the last couple of days helping them get it ready to sell.
I’ve gotten a few shaves on the Vector, and will get the last shave before sending it back tomorrow when I get home. I’ll post my final thoughts on it then. Thanks again to @Dave in KY for letting me use it!
That’s all for now. Back to painting and I’ll be back soon!
AWESOME about the position Eric !!!!! @Smattayu

Back