The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Razor: CVH Mk31
Brush: TSC Legacy
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Aftershave: SV 70th Anniversary
EDP: Robert Graham Valour

Great shave with some favorites today. I can't remember what the Mk31 was honed on, but I'll be taking it to the Jnat sometime soon. The edge was good enough for a DFS with 2 passes and a bit of clean up, but it could be better.

6a1hsD2l.jpg

Working tonight and tomorrow afternoon, then I'm off until Monday. Another mini-vacation with family. Happy New Year, Cadre!

New Years Day Appreciation Shave

Razor: Robert Williams LE, obtained from @cmh737
Brush: Stirling boar from @Joe Hackett
Soap: CBL The Shaving Cadre from @CBLSoap.com
Aftershave: CF Trade Winds, added to a box of items by @Spider
EDP: Penhaligon's Halfeti from a sample sent by @Dagwoodz

I've been planning this shave for a while, and ran the Williams through a full Nagura progression on the Jnat twice trying to get it exactly how I wanted it. I'm not very adept at honing smiling blades(or any other blades, for that matter), so the 1/2" at the toe still wasn't quite as sharp as the rest, but the rest of the blade was passing the HHT with flying colors.

Today was a full beard removal as well as the New Year appreciation shave, and CBL soaps are always good for landmark occasions. Combined with the Stirling boar I ended up with an excellent lather for the Williams to skate on. The blade was a great combination of sharp and smooth, and three passes left me with a very nice DFS+. Not good enough for this shave, so I chased the baby with some clean up and ended up with an outstanding BBS. The less than perfect toe made it a bit tougher than it needed to be and there was some sting when I splashed on the AS, but it faded quickly and I can feel the cool air on my face again.

xZue8sxl.jpg

Happy New Year, Cadre!

He’s beardless! Huzzah!
Beardless for the win!
It's true, and it feels amazing. I still like the look of my face with the beard more than without it, though I've dropped about a decade in appearance lol.

I was working last night until 1:00am, so I was in the office when midnight hit and the more outgoing Flint residents rang in the new year in the usual semi-to-full automatic fashion. It's not bad when the gunfire is distant, but a lot of them were within a couple hundred feet of where I was sitting, and some were from right next door. It was an unpleasant reminder of last August and I was nice and tense for a while, but it's still an improvement over how things were a few months ago, when that barrage would have had my running into the basement and shaking like a leaf lol.

The mini vacation starts tomorrow. More family time, which I can never get enough of.

Family time is what I live for. Squeezing a couple of extra days here and there is good for the soul. :giggle:
It really is. I’m always grateful when i get a chance to spend time with them. A really great family is something that I took for granted for a long time.

Razor: Rockwell 6c
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Black Walnut tuxedo
Soap: P.160 Tipo Morbido
Aftershave: Speick
EDT: Jimmy Choo Man

First day of the mini vacation. I grabbed the P.160 that I got from @Spider and one other shave soap, and put them both in the suitcase last night. Slept a little later than I’d planned, so I hit the road to beat traffic and shaved when I got here.

Now that that I’m shaving everything that was previously bearded I put a fresh Wizamet in the 6c so I can properly test longevity. The tuxedo knot whipped the p.160 into a very nice lather, and 3 quicker than usual passes left me with a DFS+. The soap is very nice, with an appealing scent that is mild. It’s a solid performer, though the real test will be with a straight.

I forgot to pack any frags, but found a few samples in the outer pocket of the suitcase from a previous vaca. Jimmy Choo Man falls into just ok on my frag rating meter. It’s nice but forgettable.

Also, the package of Wizamets I ordered came in the other day. Thanks to @MilkCrate for sending some of these impressive blades to me.

2986E41E-DA21-4881-BEA3-A0F59809E362.jpeg
Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Blade Wizamet
Soap: B&M Reserve Lavender

Great, laid back shave today. I really like Barrister and Manns Reserve base, and the lavender is just a fantastic scent. Three passes for a BBS, though I did manage a small nick on the corner of my mouth. A hefty glug of Speick felt extra refreshing this morning and I decided to forgo frags today, just because.

This is the second mini-vaca in two weeks, and both have been just what I needed. I had two days of vacation time left after last week, and if I don't use it it goes away at the beginning of February, so here I am. Had a great family dinner last night. Everyone who could come on short notice made it, and we had a blast. Followed it up by watching Secondhand Lions, which would easily make it onto my top 5 movies list. Watched a few member videos so far this morning. Keep those 54321 Challenge videos coming, guys!

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Blade: Wizamet
Soap: Barrister Reserve Lavender

Third full shave with the Wizamet. Every other blade I’ve ever used would be tugging at least a little on #3, but the Wizamet continues to be smooth and sharp. Three pass DFS+, a nice glug of Speick(getting low on this AS and need to reorder soon), and the day was started nicely.

Saw Rise of Starwalker with the family today. Loved it! I was very impressed with just about the entire movie, and might go see it again while it’s still in the theater.

Thanks for reading and have a great night!

Back