The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

I consider I'm in a spending freeze every hour I don't place an order. Like those safety signs. "X number of hours since last purchase."

So where's the full report on the Excelsior base??? We need to know!

No report yet. I was just about to shave this morning, and got a call to come into work early, so it's on deck for tomorrow. It won't be a very good review since I'm only shaving the lower half of my neck lol.

I consider I'm in a spending freeze every hour I don't place an order. Like those safety signs. "X number of hours since last purchase."

I know that feeling. I'm trying to stick with this one though, since there are a couple higher priority items I'm saving up for in the Dungeon.

Good idea, but I'd be constantly resetting it........

Stop giving me ideas lol.

Today's Mail Call brought a PIF from MilkCrate.

Many thanks for the excellent PIF, Tim!

Razor: Rockwell 6c
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: TSC Legacy
Soap: A&E Which One's Pink
Aftershave: A&E Which One's Pink
EDT: Guerlain Heritage

Ok, it's been way too long since I posted in here, so here is my non-shave of the day(Still have the beard going so the shaves are strictly for shaving my neck and lining it up). This will ramble on a bit so feel free to skip straight to the pic lol. The software for today's shave was part of my Reindeer Buddy's(dangerousdon) Christmas package to me. Which One's Pink? by A&E. It is their lard formula, which I was excited to try. The scent out of the tub was a little muddled, but pleasant. There were a lot of notes in it, and I couldn't pick out any that were dominant. More on the scent later, on to the shave!

A short time loading was all it took to get plenty of soap on the brush, and a few minutes of leisurely face lathering let me know that this soap is fairly thirsty. I could tell just from lathering that the slickness was going to be very good or better, and once it had some water in it the scent really came into it's own, filling the den with a citrusy, kitchen spiced, slightly floral, woodsy scent. There really is quite a bit going on and I still couldn't pick a single dominant note, but I found the overall effect to be pleasant.

From the first stroke of the 6c across my face, I could tell that the slickness of this soap was something special, and the first rinse revealed that the residual slickness was on par with anything I've ever used before. Two passes and a little clean up across my neck, which has remains the hardest area for me to shave, left me with a wondrous BBS, and the post shave of this soap proved no slouch. I'll eventually use it for a full shave, but initial impressions put it at elite status for certain. The aftershave is loaded with skin-loving goodies, and a healthy splash left me skin feeling nicely moisturized. This AS is practically cologne strength, and I probably could have gone without a frag, but I still preferred to go that route and the scent reminded me a bit of Heritage.

Heritage by Guerlain is a frag that cmh737 sent me a hefty decant of a little while back, and I really liked it from the first spray. It's got a good amount of citrus in the opening, but it's so well blended that it's hard for me to pick out anything after that. It starts out strong, and is very reminiscent of the powerhouse frags from the 80s, but also has modern elements to it, as well as a very distinct scent that I've smelled in every Guerlain Frag I've ever tried. A scent that is most prominent to me in their Vetiver, and probably least prominent in L'Instant de Guerlain. It's like Guerlain's very own Stan Lee, making an appearance in everything they put out. Beautifully blended, Heritage is a very masculine fragrance that has a maturity to it. It doesn't last as long on my skin as I'd like, but is still completely bottle-worthy in my eyes.

If Heritage is a classy and masculine middle aged man, Which One's Pink is his reprobate 4th cousin. You can tell that he's in the same family, but are more likely to find him in a strip club than a family dinner. In what is probably direct contrast to how they would react to each other if they were people, the scents blend nicely and I skipped out the door to work happy camper.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day and a fantastic New Year!

I heard you can't trust those shaving artisans with full beards.

Nice to hear from ya, Eric. Hope your holiday was a good one, and Happy New Year. Glad the Heritage worked well for you. I'm starting to like it more than I did when I first started using it.

Nice read Eric
Thanks Dave!

I heard you can't trust those shaving artisans with full beards.
I can confirm that.

Nice update Eric!
Thanks KJ!

Nice to hear from ya, Eric. Hope your holiday was a good one, and Happy New Year. Glad the Heritage worked well for you. I'm starting to like it more than I did when I first started using it.
Thanks Chris, and Happy New Year! I liked it right off the bat, but I still like it more now than I did at first.

BTW folks, I'm holding a New Years PIF, which can be found here. It ends at Midnight EST tonight, so come join if you haven't already.

An absolutely fantastic description of your shave Eric! I'm glad you enjoyed it...great pic too!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Back