The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Single digits ... yuck!
Followed by a day of 40 degrees and a lot of rain, and now it's back down to 10 degrees lol

We’re getting the same thing here, luckily no snow though. The worst is going to be when the temps are back in the 50’s at the end of the week. Everyone is going to get sick!
On the plus side, everyone here is already sick lol.

This journal is probably going to be mostly devoted to frag reviews in the near future, starting with a few that cmh737 sent me. I'm mostly over my cold, and decided to give Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy a spin. I usually check out the notes in a frag before testing it, but decided to go a different route this time. I wanted to get a sense of it before being influenced by reviews and preconceived notions of how it would smell based on someone else's description.

First impression; holy vetiver, Batman! A lot of a fairly smoky vetiver with a slightly medicinal note added to it. I caught hints of a spice that was later identified as nutmeg(by looking it up, not because I have a discerning sniffer). I believe the medicinal scent comes from patchouli and it stays around for quite a while, though the vetiver is dominant by far. After a couple hours it dries down and smooths out with the addition of sandalwood, but throughout it's life on my skin the vetiver stays at the front. Projection is moderate and longevity is very good, though that is always hard for me to tell with a dipstick sample as opposed to a spray.

This frag manages to be both classy and pretty earthy at the same time, and if you like vetiver it might be worth your time to check it out. I liked it from the first uninfluenced sniff, and even more so once it dried down, but not enough to give it more than a glance after I saw the price tag. It's outside the range that I would even consider paying for a fragrance unless I absolutely loved it.

There are a couple more Jovoy samples to go through, and then I'll get started on the rest. Thanks for reading and have a great night all!

A frag journal sounds good to me! Josh and Tom get to express opinions on some here n there, but it’s something we’re lacking overall!

Mmm vetiver!

A frag journal sounds good to me! Josh and Tom get to express opinions on some here n there, but it’s something we’re lacking overall!

Mmm vetiver!

Hopefully I'll be able to post consistently enough to make it worth it lol. Went with Jovoy Private Label today. There will be a review later, but I'm really liking this juice so far.

Cool, looking forward to the thoughts and reviews
Subscribed!
Yup...I'll be paying attention also!
Wait, this is a payed subscription ?
1f923.png

Thanks guys! Might actually get that review in today sometime lol. And while it is not a paid subscription donations are appreciated.
1f61c.png

Ok, so yesterday I used the sample of Jovoy's Private Label that cmh737 sent to me. A damp woodsiness and a slightly medicinal patchouli were the first things I smelled, but it also had a hint of sweetness that only served to accentuate the dark vibe it was giving off. As it dried down(almost literally, it actually started smelling more dry) it got a bit smoky and the leather began to be more obvious. Over time it smoothed out, but kept a rough edge. The smokiness toned down and it got just a bit sweeter and more woodsy, with the sandalwood coming out to play. An earthy vetiver stayed obvious throughout it's life on my skin, but I wouldn't classify it as a vetiver fragrance. Oud is not listed in the notes, but I swear I smell some in there. Longevity was good at around 8-9 hours and projection was above average.

Overall impression: I...dig...it(sorry for stealing your tag line, Chris)! This is a unique, dark, masculine fragrance that clearly has something to say and is not shy about it. The opening took me by surprise, but it was not at all unpleasant and I liked it more and more as the day went on. Having said that, I am highly unlikely to get a full bottle due to price, but I am going to find out if there are any decants available. It's not something I would wear often, but it would be nice to have some in the den for special occasions.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

I'm glad you dig the Jovoy Private Label - I rather liked that one as well. I've got lots more samples that I've been working through and I can send them to you as well when I'm done.

I'm glad you dig the Jovoy Private Label - I rather liked that one as well. I've got lots more samples that I've been working through and I can send them to you as well when I'm done.

That would be great, thanks Chris! I still have s ways to go before I’ve tried all the ones you sent previously, but I’m working on them.

Still alive and still shaving lol. I hope everyone is doing well, and will be around as I'm able.

I saw something the other day that made me very sad. The place where I work has a wood burner, which is how we heat the place in winter as well as heat our water year round. This requires us to send work crews out on a regular basis to acquire wood, which has the potential to provide me a good amount of material for wood turning. I've already gotten some really nice pieces of walnut and spalted maple, and try to keep my eye out for anything that I can use. The guy that usually tends to wood burner was out, so I was making sure it was well stocked before I left for the day, and this is what I saw when I opened it.

That is a beautifully figured piece of tiger maple. I almost cried. The wood pile was scoured for more like it, but I couldn't find any more.

Wow that really is a shame Eric! That looks like a 3 or 4 A quality maple top on a Gibson Les Paul!

That’s exactly what I thought when I saw it. I had a Les Paul with a desert burst finish that had a top with very similar figuring.

That really is sad. I am sure that the fellow who was tending the fire at the time first of all didn't notice he was putting such a fine piece of wood in the fire. But also, probably didn't know it was a piece of wood to be used and not burned. Sad times indeed!

Reach in and grab it. Maybe the char will add to the look
Not going to lie, I was tempted lol.

That really is sad. I am sure that the fellow who was tending the fire at the time first of all didn't notice he was putting such a fine piece of wood in the fire. But also, probably didn't know it was a piece of wood to be used and not burned. Sad times indeed!
He didn't, but I showed him the pic and asked him to set aside anything similar in the future.

You know I was thinking Eric, if there was one piece, there’s probably more around somewhere...
I thought the same thing, but it was not to be. I scoured the wood pile and couldn't find anything else like it lol.

I finally have some time to read and post. I've missed this place! I'm still keeping the beard trimmed and lined up, and reaching for CBL soaps far more often than not. They are so darn good that it's just easy to grab one and go. The Rockwell 6c has been my weapon of choice, more for ease of use and a speedy shave than anything, though I've broken out my Ralf Aust and Feather SS more than once. Purchases have involved fragrances almost exclusively lately, and I celebrated my 50th bottle by pulling the trigger on something that has been on my "to buy" list for a couple years.

agIdSpA.jpg

What a great scent! I actually had a bottle of Houbigant Fougere Royale in the cart, but this one has been on my mind for a while so they were swapped. I had a sample of it quite a ways back and never could figure out why I didn't have a full bottle.

That's all I've got for now. Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

Back