The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

I think I did it wrong. The soap is crumbly and falls apart easily. Scent is great but the lather is thin and I’m not getting peaks. At first I thought I added too much water when I lathered it but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I can get an acceptable shave out of it but next time I think I need to revisit the process and figure out how I can improve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boar brush?

First ever shave with Williams is done. I don't know why I was expecting crap, but this was an excellent shave. Super rich thick lather, good residual slickness, and post shave feel.
Williams has always been one of my favorite soaps. I think it easily competes with the artisan soaps out there. And it has most soaps beat in terms of slickness.

Williams has always been one of my favorite soaps. I think it easily competes with the artisan soaps out there. And it has most soaps beat in terms of slickness.
Does that hold true for the more recent Williams as well?

First shave with the Silly Willy was pretty good! Has a nice menthol kick to it too!

The lather was a bit more foamy than normal for me with a modern Williams puck but we will see how it is after a few more days.

First official shave with my Green Chilly Willy in the books and it was great. While I don't get the same level of "cushion" with modern Williams compared to other artisans or vintage Williams, I find the slickness absolutely top notch and have absolutely no issues getting great shaves.

PXL_20210202_151718183.jpg

But maybe winter wasn’t the best time to use a menthol soap, lol

Had the same thought as I loaded my brush over the blue menthol specks in my tub left by the Osage...

First shave with Skinny Chilly Willy was pretty good! Less cushion than I’d like, but it will dial in over the month. The scent and menthol from Skin Bracer and Osage Rub worked wonderfully. It was plenty slick for a straight razor shave, but I had a little bit of burn on my cheeks.
19B7DCE0-78C5-4512-B4E8-4AED6ED74013.jpeg

At this point I’m convinced I made my puck wrong. It lathers nothing like a regular Williams Mug puck. The slickness is excellent, but the lather quality and thickness is where it’s different from a normal puck. I bloomed the soap with warm water this time and used plenty of water when I lathered it. I even tried a couple different brushes. It’s a great learning experience I’m just stumped on what might be the issue. [emoji848]

cbd4353737ae45d3435b6dea5c7c4275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back