The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

At this point I’m convinced I made my puck wrong. It lathers nothing like a regular Williams Mug puck. The slickness is excellent, but the lather quality and thickness is where it’s different from a normal puck. I bloomed the soap with warm water this time and used plenty of water when I lathered it. I even tried a couple different brushes. It’s a great learning experience I’m just stumped on what might be the issue. [emoji848]

cbd4353737ae45d3435b6dea5c7c4275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks doesn't matter, how does it work? It looks too wet, but that's better than not wet enough.

At this point I’m convinced I made my puck wrong. It lathers nothing like a regular Williams Mug puck. The slickness is excellent, but the lather quality and thickness is where it’s different from a normal puck. I bloomed the soap with warm water this time and used plenty of water when I lathered it. I even tried a couple different brushes. It’s a great learning experience I’m just stumped on what might be the issue.
emoji848.png

cbd4353737ae45d3435b6dea5c7c4275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapataYeah what gives guys? What’s the secret??? I feel like I just shaved with magic disappearing soap!

No idea what just happened there. I dropped my phone mid type 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway, What I was trying to say was: What gives guys? What’s the secret? I feel like I just shaves with magic disappearing soap! I had The same issue as @Soap Thing. The soap was super slick, but gone almost before I finished my first stroke.

Looks doesn't matter, how does it work? It looks too wet, but that's better than not wet enough.

It works okay. It gives a decent enough shave, I could take it or leave it. For some reason I had this inflated expectation that there would be this explosion of lather. Tomorrow I’ll try it with less water.

It works okay. It gives a decent enough shave, I could take it or leave it. For some reason I had this inflated expectation that there would be this explosion of lather. Tomorrow I’ll try it with less water.

Could be something in the Dana English Leather Aftershave that's giving the same effect as hard water, killing the lathering ability of the soap.

Could be something in the Dana English Leather Aftershave that's giving the same effect as hard water, killing the lathering ability of the soap.

That’s pretty much what I’ve narrowed it down to, it’s either the Dana or the operator.

also remember if the alcohol hasnt completely evaporated then it will Kill the lather...

By the way just to say this , when my little guy "shaved" with daddy he was using a 3d printed Artist Club razor WITHOUT A Blade......
Also as another note I had to change razors. I was trying out a Rolls Razor my friend who owns the antique shop let me try but the blade was Not sharp enough and my face can feel it. I tried the rolls razor it pulled a lot . I may have to skip tomorrow unless the burning feeling goes away before then.
I switched to a Merkur 38c HD barber pole
Merkur-HD-Barber-Pole-38C-Safety-Razor-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I was trying out a Rolls Razor my friend who owns the antique shop let me try but the blade was Not sharp enough and my face can feel it.
Did you use it as is, or did you have it honed? Kyle honed one for me, and it’s a decent shaver. I wouldn’t rely on the home/strop it came with unless they are fully refurbished.

Did you use it as is, or did you have it honed? Kyle honed one for me, and it’s a decent shaver. I wouldn’t rely on the home/strop it came with unless they are fully refurbished.
I haven't sent it off to be honed I used the built in hone and strop but I guess it needs more work... The hone is in rough shape in the first place and needs replaced.. I may just take it back to him and see about getting one in better shape..
Also as a side note I haven't been back to his shop yet to ask him about what we talked about the other day.. I'm hoping to get by there tomorrow though if I can . I will let you know as soon as I can.. okay.

1612346534204.jpeg

Another great shave, this is after my first pass, lather is holding up well, and that's in a heated scuttle with maybe a tad too much water.

I actually like the smell of it unscented, the soap base has enough of a scent to overpower added fragrance to my nose, I've had the same issue with some CBL soaps.

Can confirm, Kyle did a great job with my Roll Razor as well. Once honed they live up to the "straight razor on a stick" reputation.

My Wild Willy shave was quite good today but not with out minor "issues". The slickness of the Williams was not a problem, but overall cushion or thickness was a touch lacking in comparison to yesterday. Not a big deal, just an observation (as is the point of these challenges). I don't feel I added too much water, but Williams can be fickle on that front. Again, no big deal, the slickness and glide drove things to a good place.

SOTD here

@Soap Thing @SteveChuckFrank if airing out further doesn't help with the lather, one last resort could be adding just a pinch of citric acid to your water used for blooming/lather building. We have extremely hard water here and with modern Williams, I add the smallest pinch to my bowl of water that I then pour over the puck to bloom while showering, use to add water to the brush while face lathering, and finally use to rinse the razor between passes (find using the bowl is much easier than filling the sink with water.) Might help negate some of the effects the AS might have left on the soap.

Another fantastic shave this morning. The scent and menthol of the Skin Bracer & Osage combo is proving to be a real winner.

PXL_20210203_154512365.jpg

PXL_20210203_152558454.jpg

The slickness of Williams is just amazing. I don't think there's much out there that can claim to be better. The combo with my sharp Feather blade and my mild Feather AS-D2 is just spectacular. I finished up pass #2 and barely felt the need for pass #3. But I did it anyway, and barely heard any whiskers being cut. This was definitely one of my best shaves ever, and a winning combo all around!

Back