The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

I was gifted a vintage puck by @CBLindsay in last years Christmas exchange, this looks like a good excuse to use it. At the end of the month I'll be out regardless. A month is long enough for me. Otherwise, I'm in.

Copy this list to sign up. (List what you will be adding and what you are calling it.

1. Spider – Aqua Velva Menthol – Cool Willy (Vintage Puck)
2. uacowboy - Either a Spicy Willy(old spice and just finished making) or a Silly Willy(made with a mix of a bunch of different AS)
3. Soap Thing - English Willy (Dana English Leather Aftershave)
4. dkeester - No AS, just water to bloom - Plain Vintage Willy
5. OpusX - Avon Wild Country - Wild Willy
6. BarberDave - Gin Slinger Willy ( Clubman Gent's Gin / Penhaligon's Juniper Sling
7. FightingIllini22 - Briskly Chilled Willy (Barbasol Brisk & Osage Rub)
8. Fenster - Nivea 2 in 1 - 2 in 1 Willy
9. Jaro1069 -Williams and ??( havent decided yet) will update soon..
10. SteveChuckFrank - Clubman Whiskey Woods - Bootlegger Willy
11. Luecke3262 - Skinny Chilly Willy(Skin Bracer & Osage Rub)
12. HMan - no additives - Bare Willy

Copy this list to sign up. (List what you will be adding and what you are calling it.

2. uacowboy - Either a Spicy Willy(old spice and just finished making) or a Silly Willy(made with a mix of a bunch of different AS)
6. BarberDave - Gin Slinger Willy ( Clubman Gent's Gin / Penhaligon's Juniper Sling
9. Jaro1069 -Williams and Bod for Men Black and Bod for Men Blue-- Black and Blue Willy (scent profile is sandalwood,citrus and vanilla)

9. Jaro1069 -Williams and Bod for Men Black and Bod for Men Blue-- Black and Blue Willy (scent profile is sandalwood,citrus and vanilla)
Sound rough brother, enjoy! 😉

Hey @Spider or anyone else, even though I'm not going to add scent, I plan to grate my puck and put it in a bowl.
Do you need to add anything when doing that, or just grate add to bowl and compact?

Hey @Spider or anyone else, even though I'm not going to add scent, I plan to grate my puck and put it in a bowl.
Do you need to add anything when doing that, or just grate add to bowl and compact?
You can try just compacting it down, but I think you might need a little bit of water to bind it back together.

Especially since you are using a vintage puck which is much drier than a modern puck.

Great timing on this one for me, I'm up for a change from the normal routine, and have been waiting to actually use this soap bowl that was part of the SWK Trio set. Plus to actually grate a full puck with this grater I bought just for shaving pucks way back when I thought I had to buy everything.

The Set Up
1612025370161.jpeg

It should fit, right?
1612025403724.jpeg

Half way!
1612025437401.jpeg

It should fit, right? pt 2
1612025475208.jpeg

It does!
1612025494365.jpeg

I was gifted a vintage puck by @CBLindsay in last years Christmas exchange, this looks like a good excuse to use it. At the end of the month I'll be out regardless. A month is long enough for me. Otherwise, I'm in.

9. Jaro1069 -Williams and ??( havent decided yet) will update soon..
You got it for nothing, wouldn't that make it "Free Willy"? 😁 🐋

Reminder, we start up this 3017 on Tuesday, February 2nd!

I know it's a bit confusing since we are not starting on the 1st of the month, but it's in honor of J.B. Williams' Birthday that we start on the 2nd.

Most folks wont last the whole month anyway. And that's not to say they are going to give up or quit..... it's just that in my experience with these 3017's, Williams pucks average 20-25 shaves for "most" users. Some folks do go a full month or more, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. Granted, I did take a puck out to 72 shaves once, but I plan to load heavier this time to try to be done in one month's time. Can't wait to get this started. I'm very excited to try out my Menthol Puck!

Okay, February 2nd is approaching. I’m about to use the same equipment for a month... Including my blade. Why do I do this to myself? [emoji38] I must be a glutton for punishment.

e57527d1c772b4216a67a1069b3251de.jpg

Above the Tie Windsor SE1 w/Feather ProSuper Blade

Envy Shave 8 Ball 26mm Badger

Geo F Trumper Skin Food Pre/Post

English Willy Shaving Soap

English Leather By Dana Aftershave Splash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the Black And Blue WillyIMG_20210131_165259722.jpg
IMG_20210131_165319187.jpg
IMG_20210131_165315270.jpg
You and I may not like the commercials for the BOD colognes but I think they will work for mixing with williams because they are VERY strong.. I used an extra fine grater that made the puck like flour and mixed in about an oz of black and an oz of blue and it was a little gooey to start with then became like bread dough fairly quickly. I guess we shall see if it dries the rest of the way out before the challenge starts on TUESDAY February the 2nd...

@Jaro1069 I'd smoosh that down as much as possible to get all those air pockets out and make the surface as uniform as possible before sitting it out to dry. If not, when you get towards the end of the puck, it's going to start crumbling and falling apart on you.

Back