The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

Had a nice afternoon shave today. I soaked my skinny chilly Willy for about 30minutes while I was in a meeting, then used my trusty Semogue 620 to whip up a better lather than yesterday. I started pretty dry and did water additions. It creamed up nicely, but the lather did want to dry and disappear quickly. It was a much better lather and shave than yesterday, so I made progress. Modern Williams has nothing on vintage though, IMHO. I bet I’ll dial it down in the next few days.
70D477AA-F3F2-4B55-846B-9FA02192A7BF.jpeg

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Bootlegger Willy Mickey Lee Kraken
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Another fail with the Bootlegger Willy tonight. I went in with a very dry brush, and at first it seemed to be loading well and creating a decent proto lather on the puck. I applied the soap to my face and it almost seemed to want to build a nice lather but was just a little too dry. I thought I'd add a few drops of water to the brush and continue building the lather, but by the time I added the water and brought the brush back to my face, the soap that was there was already beginning to disappear. I added the water and at first the lather started to build, but then it just got worse. Since I was still a little tender from yesterday's shave being done with pretty much just water, I decided to change gears and just grab a different soap. I think @TobyC might be right and maybe the Whiskey Woods didn't have enough time to completely evaporate. I'll let it sit overnight again and see how things go tomorrow.

For those of you who are having a hard time with the lather, or whose lather with this puck is different from your normal Williams lather, let me reiterate something....

This is normal! We are doing this as an experiment, and as sometign different form the norm, just to have a little fun..... however, the addition of aftershave to the puck will, the vast majority of the time, affect the lather in a negative way. If all the alcohol doesn't burn off, that's definitely going to affect that, but unless your soap is soupy or soft, It's probably gone. However, there's other ingredient in the AS, that are probably affecting the lather as well. One thing I did say before was to try to pick an AS that had a good glycerine content, or to add glycerine to it to help combat this. When I did this a few years ago, I used Aqua Velva Original Sport (the green stuff from Canada). It's marketed as a cologne and not an AS, and doen't have as much (or any, I can't remember), but the lathers I got form that puck were horrible. I experienced the dissipating lather that a lot of you are experiencing.

Next time, try to add a drop of glycerin to your puck or bowl before you lather and see if that helps.

Next time, try to add a drop of glycerin to your puck or bowl before you lather and see if that helps.
Noted. [search to see if local CVS on way home has glycerin...yep]

I was actually wondering how a 2 puck blend of VDH and Williams would end up working out as a drugstore super blend, but that's another conversation.

I was actually wondering how a 2 puck blend of VDH and Williams would end up working out as a drugstore super blend, but that's another conversation.
That was my first ever soap experiment, like 10 years ago, LOL. It can be done a few ways..... but I'll wait for the other conversation to say more.

Here’s something really interesting Day four same set up still great shaves blades going strong so it’s going strong and I smell like a gin and tonic Good stuff

Noted. [search to see if local CVS on way home has glycerin...yep]

Walmart sells glycerin also...
I have grated both VDH and Williams together before.. It makes a very soapy smelling blend but it actually worked pretty well.......

I hasn't taken long to get a feel for lathering the plain vintage soap. Slickness was dialed in and as good as my personal goals standard soap. Face feel is also good, post shave neutral, no irritation, but also no extra skin care, which is fine, especially if this were part of a regular rotation.

I'll take the weekend off, and back to get back to my Bare Willy on Monday.

SOTD here

Well I'm not sure what a "lathet" is but the lather was a bit better today. The addition of glycerin was felt in the shave. The thickness was marginally better, but again the super slickness remains. Honestly I have no issues with the way things are going, now it is just part of the overall experiment to see what happens.

SOTD here

20210205_053355.jpg

okay like spider and @TobyC and I have all said if the alcohol wasnt all gone its not gonna work right and like @Spider said there are other additives in the AS we all added that can and will affect the shave.. One thing you can do is go to a local craft store or anywhere else that sells it and add a LITTLE bit of Bentonite clay to the soap.( you can also use kaolin clay ) It Will help with the lather as our resident soap makers will confirm.....

Last edited:
Back