The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

I figured it out. Took a blow dryer to it then bloomed it with really hot water. Now it’s making an excellent lather. I don’t understand the science behind it. But it worked... I win.

2620479164548d7feb77dccb7eb28ec3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured it out. Took a blow dryer to it then bloomed it with really hot water. Now it’s making an excellent lather. I don’t understand the science behind it. But it worked... I win.

2620479164548d7feb77dccb7eb28ec3.jpg

Maybe it softened it a little and dried out some of the residual alcohol and what not. Glad its working better for you....

Maybe it softened it a little and dried out some of the residual alcohol and what not. Glad its working better for you....

I think you’re right. There was still some alcohol left in the soap and it was too hard. I don’t think I would use this aftershave again. Next time I want to try regular Aqua Velva, it seams to just work.

One thing you can do is go to a local craft store or anywhere else that sells it and add a LITTLE bit of Bentonite clay to the soap.( you can also use kaolin clay ) It Will help with the lather as our resident soap makers will confirm.....
As far as I’m aware, bentonite clay is added to soaps to increase their slickness.

Little late to post, but had a lot of Duru collecting dust and haven't heard it being used before. Added a little jojoba hoping for a hit.

Attachments

• Limon Willy.jpg
    Limon Willy.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15
Little late to post, but had a lot of Duru collecting dust and haven't heard it being used before. Added a little jojoba hoping for a hit.
Welcome to the party! Add yourself to the sign up list below!

Also Welcome to The Cadre! Head on over to the Newbie forum and introduce yourself.

Copy this list to sign up. (List what you will be adding and what you are calling it.

1. Spider – Aqua Velva Menthol – Cool Willy (Vintage Puck)
2. uacowboy - Either a Spicy Willy(old spice and just finished making) or a Silly Willy(made with a mix of a bunch of different AS)
3. Soap Thing - English Willy (Dana English Leather Aftershave)
4. dkeester - No AS, just water to bloom - Plain Vintage Willy
5. OpusX - Avon Wild Country - Wild Willy
6. BarberDave - Gin Slinger Willy ( Clubman Gent's Gin / Penhaligon's Juniper Sling
7. FightingIllini22 - Briskly Chilled Willy (Barbasol Brisk & Osage Rub)
8. Fenster - Nivea 2 in 1 - 2 in 1 Willy
9. Jaro1069 -Williams and Bod for Men Black and Bod for Men Blue-- Black and Blue Willy (scent profile is sandalwood,citrus and vanilla)
10. SteveChuckFrank - Clubman Whiskey Woods - Bootlegger Willy
11. Luecke3262 - Skinny Chilly Willy(Skin Bracer & Osage Rub)
12. HMan - no additives - Bare Willy

Incorporated some Barbasol Sensitive as a preshave / uberlather this morning. The papaya scent from the Barbasol played very well with the Green Chilly Willy and performance was excellent as usual. Mowed down a couple days of growth no problemo.

58b0f87b55b0af5ca07d35c626bbc809.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (4)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Bootlegger Willy (3)
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods

Well, shave #3 with Bootlegger Willy. I tried Using bottled water instead of tap water today. There was maybe a very minor improvement. I think this is just gonna be a 3017 I suffer through until the soap is kicked, or I’ve just had enough and throw in the towel. We'll see...

Late to the whole “Willie” project, but decided to grate up a couple of pucks and make some.

First one I added some Avon “Tai Winds” aftershave to make some “Windy Willie”! For the second I added some Dior “Bois D’Argent” cologne. Really looking forward to using them once they’re ready.
Need a name for the Dior scented soap. Any ideas?

6A32BFF8-F987-408D-8DD7-7BEAE2EFBE52.jpeg
0638A43A-7F47-49FB-9ACD-0BCD990AC61F.jpeg
C296A282-FC93-4CBE-B5F2-2A89ED9D57CE.jpeg

Catching up! I think I’ve figured Williams with my additives out. #1 thing is to soak it for about 30+ minutes, then go at it with a nearly dry brush. I’m really happy with my lathers, the second half of this week!

What was left after 3 passes!
C4A080B2-BF82-46F7-B042-6FAD774538FB.jpeg
Had a nice long shave this afternoon, with my old friend, the SRD Blue Diamond. It was one of my very first straights and it has a special place in my heart. I refreshed the edge on my Surgical Black Arkansas, before the shave. It was Devine and I finished up with vintage Proraso!

Last edited:
Back