The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Movie Thread

The wife is a big horror/slasher flick person. So this time of year I let her pick out the movies.

The other night we watched "Ready or Not." This movie was a fun one to watch. It was a type of "slasher" flick that had moments of humor to keep it from getting stale. It was definitely better than I thought. Worth a watch! I think you can watch it if you have an HBO subscription or HBO Max. It looks like you can rent it on Amazon or other ways.

Last night we watched a movie called "The Shrine." Okay...so this is a low budget horror movie that has some elements of Evil Dead and the Exorcist in it. I think IFC put it out in 2010. This movie has a decent size cult following and some critics call this one the most underrated movies. So...my take is that the acting isn't great...okay...for the most part it isn't good at all. But it's a horror movie so that is expected. But other than a few details that is supposed to build the story line...you can likely skip to the second half of the movie and not really miss anything. Actually I would say that two thirds of the movie is crap...and the last one third is actually pretty good. I think you can find this on Amazon Prime and Hulu.

Okay...so since the wife is so uncomfortable now seeing as the baby is coming in about three weeks...the wife gets what the wife wants. So we have been watching horror movies, thrillers, and slasher flicks. Here are just some of the notables.

The VVitch - The wife had seen it before but really liked it a lot. Probably not for everyone as it is derived from New England folktales and is NOT action packed at all. The dialogue is a little complicated as it is more period derived. But I loved it! It was so up my ally and I was really impressed with the entirety of it all. I recommend this to those who like a slow burn.

Trick 'r Treat - An anthology of sorts, this movie won't impress you with any acting. I only recognized two actresses in the whole thing...and there were parts of it that were beyond stupid. But this movie was fun to watch. It's not likely to make you jump or anything...but if you are looking for something to make you laugh and is Halloween themed...this is a fun one.

Pyewacket - Another slow burn kind of movie...this was way better than I expected. There were parts of it that I was yelling at the main character for doing something stupid...but over all...man this was a good one. An angry teen that summons a dark entity to do something that she regrets. Yeah...we have all been there...right? :sneaky:

7500 on Amazon...great acting by Levitt-Weaver. Very tense, very gripping storytelling of a real life event. Crazy what can be done with about 95% of the movie being done in a 15 foot space.

7500 on Amazon...great acting by Levitt-Weaver. Very tense, very gripping storytelling of a real life event. Crazy what can be done with about 95% of the movie being done in a 15 foot space.
Looks interesting. May have to check it out this weekend. I tried asking the family what Christmas movies they would want to see. I figure I'd hear about the classics. Nope, all girlie love story stuff. I'm out.

Looks interesting. May have to check it out this weekend. I tried asking the family what Christmas movies they would want to see. I figure I'd hear about the classics. Nope, all girlie love story stuff. I'm out.
What?! No Elf? No Diehard? No Christmas Story?!

Watching Big for the first time time in ages...is it just me or does Elizabeth Perkins look like an older Millie Bobby Brown in the movie?! 😳

Fargo is a movie I'll always stop to watch, even on Christmas. It is a solid 5B offering.

Most of you are likely unfamiliar with my rating system. Movies earn 1 B for each of the following:

Bombs
Bullets
Blood
Breasts (female)
Butts (female)

In my objective system, a movie must earn at least a 3B rating to be worthy of my valuable time. Any combination qualifies.

How do your favorite movies stack up?

It's a Wonderful Life qualifies based on your criteria, Bruce, with a solid 5/5

Bombs ......................... Movie bombed at the box office when originally released
Bullets .......................... Bert (the policeman) shoots at George Bailey
Blood ........................... George Bailey had a bloody lip
Breasts (female) ....... Every female had breasts
Butts (female) ............ <see above>

Fargo is a movie I'll always stop to watch, even on Christmas. It is a solid 5B offering.

Most of you are likely unfamiliar with my rating system. Movies earn 1 B for each of the following:

Bombs
Bullets
Blood
Breasts (female)
Butts (female)

In my objective system, a movie must earn at least a 3B rating to be worthy of my valuable time. Any combination qualifies.

How do your favorite movies stack up?
It is hard to argue with this rating system Bruce. I can find absolutely no flaws with it at all!

Watched Class Action Park on HBO Max last night. It's an hour and a half "documentary" on a waterpark that was prominent in the 80s that was located in Vernon, New Jersey. The movie showed the stupidity of how ill designed (not ill conceived though) this amusement park was. The first hour I was laughing my butt off and would stare in disbelief at the absurdity of it all. The last half hour dealt with how law suits were handled and some of the deaths that occurred. I thought the ending was a bit of a cop-out...but all in all it was an enjoyable movie to watch. Probably not something I would watch with young children as there is a hefty dose of language, discussion of sex and drug use. Nothing graphic in the sense that they didn't show anything. But it is still there nonetheless. Definitely worth a watch if you are in to things like "Tiger King" or "McMillions" or things like that.

Went to see WW 1984 at the drive-in last night with the boys. Initial impressions of the film...sadly, until I see it again, I have to side with the critics and say it was just “meh”.

I felt the first film and her appearances in the other DC films were much more significant in storytelling and holding interest. This one felt like it started off OK, picked up a nice storyline pace, then went flat 1/3 to 2/3s of the film length, then someone pressed the fast forward button on the last 1/3rd when they realized they were running out of time to finish the story.

This would make a good rental/stream...but if you were considering seeing it in theaters, save your money.

Back