The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Hot Pepper Challenge

Thanks folks.

As I'm looking for something not too expensive, I'm going to try the Tropical pepper sauce. Sounds hot.

Thanks again!

I already ordered it. Then I did some research...

Mental note, do the research FIRST!

Franks is 450 SHUs... The Ghost Pepper sauce is 480,000 SHUs. Holy moly!!

I like mildly hot foods, but they give me heartburn / acid reflux. If I try this, I'm afraid it may kill me. [emoji15]

Sorry, after seeing those stats (480k Scoville), I had to back down. Order cancelled.

I went with this instead. No clue if it's any good, but it's a lot less spicy: Mexico Lindo Red Habanero Hot Sauce (78k Scoville). Still a lot hotter than Frank's (450 Scoville), but hopefully won't incite an Ambulance ride.

Baby steps, I suppose. [emoji38]

Sorry, after seeing those stats (480k Scoville), I had to back down. Order cancelled.

I went with this instead. No clue if it's any good, but it's a lot less spicy: Mexico Lindo Red Habanero Hot Sauce (78k Scoville). Still a lot hotter than Frank's (450 Scoville), but hopefully won't incite an Ambulance ride.

Baby steps, I suppose. [emoji38]
Sorry if Iead you astray. I know they say 480k but I wouldn't put it over 250k. Just enough to start the nose running and that the burns lasts a few minutes after eating.
Offer still holds on a free bottle.

Sorry if Iead you astray. I know they say 480k but I wouldn't put it over 250k. Just enough to start the nose running and that the burns lasts a few minutes after eating.
Offer still holds on a free bottle.
I'm used to the mild heat of Frank's (under 1k), so jumping that far out is a bit daunting.

Thank you for the kind offer... If it goes well, I may come back and ask if it still stands. [emoji846]

You can always water some of it down in another bottle if you want.
That's a good idea, thanks.

Usually, I put red-hot sauce on chicken or such. That may help spreading it out without using too much. [emoji106]

Bob @bobmsp got me a GREAT hot sauce called Cry Baby Craig’s for the gift exchange.... it’s habanero based but has a TON of flavor.... definitely not too hot but may cause some perspiration. Highly recommended (as I’ve had it 4 days now and I’ve used about 25% of the bottle 🥵) 😁

I made my first couple batches of hot sauce two weeks ago, but I ran out of bottles, so I had to wait to finish it up. Yesterday, I continued. Here's a few pics. Wish I'd taken more.

Half Gallon Jars (1st two are the same, last one has smoked peppers)
6.jpg

Sanitizing bottles and Pasteurizing the sauce.
5.jpg

Bottle flip for sealing and sanitizing.
3.jpg

End Result.
4.jpg

I still ran out of bottles.... again. At this point I have made about 50 bottles of sauce, between 6 different sauces. I still have probably 15 bottles worth of sauce left to bottle.

I'll also be working on my labels this weekend. I'll post new pics when they are done!

Funny thing though. I was using a coffee mug to scoop sauce out of the saucepan to pour into my funnel for bottling. Then after I was done I washed the mug, and most of the paint came right off! Actually half of the paint came off the first time I made sauce, and yesterday almost the rest, lol. Luckily it wasn't a good mug that I cherished.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Back