The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Hot Pepper Challenge

Was going through the sauces to kill, and found I have a bunch of this Mad Dog 357 Silver. So I had to drop some on the fauxpotle bowl for dinner.

20201118_173034.jpg

Tony, what’s your collection look like?
My goodness....😯. Based on that I'm much more in the "couple bottles" category. I have probably 4-5 very hot sauces currently (with several commons from gifts that should just be binned for space) I try to keep within the clutter tolerance of the wife unit.

I'm definitely in the just a few bottles category. And at least a couple of those are pretty mild but great flavor.

I did go ahead and finish off the hotsauce I'd had fermenting. Last night marked 4 weeks and it was well past its peak activity. I also roasted up about 3/4 cup of garlic cloves and tossed those in with the fermented stuff. Turns out peppers do go through a hand crank food mill very well so I got the food processor out and turned it into this.
20201119_203034.jpg
That had half a cup of the brine and half a cup of white vinegar added. Just keeping it pretty standard this go around. So after simmering for a few minutes I pressed to through a wire strainer and got a nice smooth sauce that still has some body to it. Initial taste test on a tortilla chip seemed kinda mild in the flavor department but it does have a solid kick. Smells pretty great too.
20201119_212710.jpg
And no thats not all I got. I have another bottle thats at least 50% bigger thats also full and a bit extra beyond that.

Great job Kyle! Now take all the solids that got strained out, and dehydrate them to make seasoning!

Most of my jars are still moderately active. My small jars with fruit in them are not, and my one jar that's just ghost peppers is not either. But the bubbling is just one stage of fermentation, and flavors will continue to evolve. Some folks keep their ferments going for 6-12 months. Tabasco ferments their mash for 3 years.

I'm fine with 1-2 months, and will be making mine soon!

Back