The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Hot Pepper Challenge

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Hey guys and gals.

This is a hot pepper challenge. And if enough of you participate and band together, I will eventually eat a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Pepper, which is like the 3[sup]rd[/sup] hottest pepper in the world. If you've never seen a pepper challenge video. Look a few up, there are lots on YouTube.

What do you need to do to participate? Record yourself eating a hot pepper on video, and document your experience. I will start this off with a video of me eating a Serrano pepper. Then your videos will follow. I will progress through hotter and hotter peppers in my subsequent videos as more of you join the challenge.

Here is a scale of pepper hotness in Scoville Heat Units (SHU)

0 – Bell Pepper

100-500 – Pepperoncini

1000-1500 – Poblano

3000-5000 – Jalapeño

10,000-20,000 – Serrano

10,000-30,000 – Bolivian Rainbow (Ornamental)

30.000-50,000 – Tabasco/Cayenne

100,000 - Thai Chili

100,000-300,000 Habanero/Scotch Bonnet

900,000 – 1.2M – Ghost Pepper

1.2M – 2M – Trinidad Scorpion

1.5M-2.2M – Carolina Reaper

Minimum level for entry to the contest is Jalapeño. Rules for the challenge are as follows.

Eat 1 Whole Pepper. Chew it up and swallow. Nothing to drink except water for 10 minutes. Time starts when you start chewing. If you make it 10 minutes, then you survived the challenge and can have milk or ice cream, if desired. The only exception to the 10 minute rule is if the heat dies down early and you do not need any relief, this may happen with Jalapeños or other peppers lower than 100,000 SHUs.

The Peppers I will have available to me for my challenges I am growing in my garden, and are among the most commonly available. They are as follows:

Level 1: Serrano

Level 2: Bolivian Rainbow (Ornamental)

Level 3: Thai Chili

Level 4: Habanero

Level 5: Trinidad Scorpion

Here is the participation required for me to move from one level to the next.

Level 1 to 2: 1 video

Level 2 to 3: 2 videos

Level 3 to 4: 3 videos

Level 4 to 5: 4 videos

These can be new member videos or repeat members, as long as they go up in heat level for subsequent videos. One caveat, is that if anyone matches me, and either eats the same pepper or one of equal SHU, I will automatically progress to the next level. I hope this all makes sense, but to reiterate this will either take 1 person matching me, or a bunch of people just doing entry level heat videos, or any combination of the two. So, that’s 10 videos total, unless I am matched along the way. I would love it, if one person would make it to the Habanero level. I’ve done that before, but the Scorpion pepper will be new for me.

So, do you have what it takes to participate? How badly do you want to see me eat a Trinidad Scorpion Pepper?

I will try to get my first video posted tonight! Who is ready for the Challenge?

Lol fun idea KJ! Next time the wife goes to the store I’ll have to bug her to pick something up!

Oh...I am totally doing this...I'm not sure I am up for 10 videos...but I will definitely makes sure I hit EVERY level at least once...that is until I can't stand it no more!

I never said any one person needed to do 10 videos. I'm only going to do 5. That's 10 different videos from the cadre combined.

Gotcha! I'm still up for the ridiculousness of this! This is going to be funny...to watch. It's probably not going to be funny for me!
1f609.png

This is going to be funny...to watch. It's probably not going to be funny for me!
1f609.png

I agree. I watch pepper eating videos all the time, and they are almost always hilarious. And watching them, just makes me want to do the challenges even more!

Like I said I don't like straight up heat but my Step Father eats ANYTHING hot and have never seen him wince once. Grows his own peppers too but don't think he has anything like you with the exotic varieties. I will have to mention it to him.

I'm up to watching, but a normal hot wing or a little curry in the Chinese food is as far as I go.

I'm not even sure what peppers I can get up here in the northern woods.

Just about any grocery store or Walmart will cary Jalappeño, Serrano, and Habanero. Finding anything hotter than that would require other searches.

We have some Asian Markets here...I am thinking I can find something good!?

i have a very BAD feeling about this one. VERY bad. Remember, you might put out the fire in your mouth but there WILL be fire in the end...

Jalappeño I can eat, but I really don't like the taste of them. So I know I can handle that much heat, but the flavor is awful IMO.

Back