The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

That looks to light for my tastes, but I know you like a lighter roast here is my most recent of batch of El Trufino We like it French roast to Epsresso roasted so it is real strong. I was brought up on Puerto Rican Coffee which is the strongest I have ever tasted and always just bordering bursting into flame, LOL

@NurseDave I had been roasting with the SR500 outside while it was quite cold and it did increase the amount of time needed but only marginally (like a minute) and only seemed to impact the time it took to get to the first crack phase. I found that weak outlets (I have one on the porch that is weak, don't know why but it is) so that one makes it take much longer to get a roast done. Same with a long extension cord I used in the back yard, the plug is solid but the length of the cord reduced the power to the unit enough to add 5-8 minutes to the whole roast. If you have another plug in the garage or outside you can try you might give it a go and see if that changes things.

I like kyles idea of shooting for a burnt bean so you can better understand the progression. On the other hand, a lighter roast as you have shown may be just what you and your wife end up enjoying most. The lighter roasts tend to have more acidic flavors and a lot of brightness as compared to the same bean burnt to @HandleBarberDave roast level (herby called HBD roast). What matters is whether you find enjoyment in the final product.

Here's how my time table looks
set the unit to the max 9.9 minutes and turn on low heat high fan for a few seconds (until the beans fluff and bounce) so the beans are moving when you hit the heat.
switch to high and let the bad boy run for 3 minutes. Right around 3 minutes you will hear first crack.
shortly after that first crack I open the top lid slightly to let some of the chaff blow out. some beans have so much chaff blow off all at once it can clog the top enough to reduce air flow.
about 3-4 minutes later (if left on high) the lighter pop or sizzle sound starts. I usually try to get to this stage and either let it run a little longer on medium or low heat or keep it on high for 10-20 seconds then start cooling.

I also found I can set it to medium heat from the beginning and by the time it runs out of time i have a med to med/dark roast.

That looks to light for my tastes, but I know you like a lighter roast here is my most recent of batch of El Trufino We like it French roast to Epsresso roasted so it is real strong. I was brought up on Puerto Rican Coffee which is the strongest I have ever tasted and always just bordering bursting into flame, LOL
View attachment 3672
You know you might save money but just buying lump charcoal.:ROFLMAO:

Looks like you did a good job going dark without scorching them though.

You know you might save money but just buying lump charcoal.:ROFLMAO:

Looks like you did a good job going dark without scorching them though.
LOL no I took it right up to the edge though, but for epsresso you have to to get all that flavor. Super strong and super nice, LOL. I got my new roaster in so I may try a batch next week

@NurseDave I had been roasting with the SR500 outside while it was quite cold and it did increase the amount of time needed but only marginally (like a minute) and only seemed to impact the time it took to get to the first crack phase. I found that weak outlets (I have one on the porch that is weak, don't know why but it is) so that one makes it take much longer to get a roast done. Same with a long extension cord I used in the back yard, the plug is solid but the length of the cord reduced the power to the unit enough to add 5-8 minutes to the whole roast. If you have another plug in the garage or outside you can try you might give it a go and see if that changes things.
Very interesting. It's plugged right into an outlet, but one we had added to the courtyard. I'll try in the garage the next time.

Something i had forgotten i had and recently dug out of the back of the cabinet. It's like a french press to go and once you have pressed in the filter cylinder it's a triple wall insulated travel mug and it keeps coffee HOT for several hours.

Look who made an additional donation to the Disneyland expansion fund :)

Back