The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

I like that one Dave’s got, I had one similar for a long time but it died suddenly. Seems a power surge or something at work killed it, i monkeyed with it awhile but had to give up. I have a nice mr coffee “mr barista” that does the espresso stuff but the pot of drip is done with an $8 Walmart 5 cup thing. That $8 (or was it $5?) maker does a damn good job. I guess you could set it up the night before and use a plug timer to start it.

Now that I’ve decided to add a nitro cold brew set up to my coffee station (at home and work) I’ve got the flip n brew cold brew pitcher working overtime.

Stopped into my green coffee supplier this morning to get a few pounds and after talking about one of the varieties I had chosen (Flores) he mentioned that is the Island you stop at in Indonesia before going to the komodo dragon island. When I noticed that coffees bag had a komodo on it they grabbed an empty one from the back and gave it to me.
20190715_154544.jpg

Stopped into my green coffee supplier this morning to get a few pounds and after talking about one of the varieties I had chosen (Flores) he mentioned that is the Island you stop at in Indonesia before going to the komodo dragon island. When I noticed that coffees bag had a komodo on it they grabbed an empty one from the back and gave it to me.
View attachment 6248
*Foot not included with purchase*

Success? I ordered up some Peruvian green from @uacowboy’s supplier and it was a totally different roasting experience. I started how I believe @Cvargo said. Just crank it on high and let it go. I did slow the fan to maybe 3/4 at some point. I heard 1st crack like popcorn going off and then later after adding more time I heard 2nd crack. 2nd crack seemed to go on for quite a while. I know I was still going longer than you guys talk about, but I think this was a success. I know Kyle probably would have taken it a bit darker yet as I think this is just starting to get shiny and his was glistening. Have another batch running right now.

That looks perfect! With the roaster we have I tend to always dial up to 9.9 min. Once I hear first crack I vent the top to let out some chaf then I add .5 to timer. Roast comes out a nice medium dark for me. I roast longer than Chris though. And our beans look similar. I wonder if elevation effects it

I think this was around 12min, but I didn’t keep track as closely as I should have. Good idea about venting the chaff.

That looks great Dave and the beans look pretty much like that when I was done with them. I never take them to the point of shiny while roasting (that's actually a sign you probably burned or scorched them) but sometimes they do release some oils while they rest. Might depend on storage too. I don't normally do ziplocs.

Ooooooh! Good to know!

I’m wondering if the free ones were just too wet or old or something.

Isn't it wise to put your freshly roasted beans into a container that allows the CO2 to escape but keeps out everything else? I would think a zip lock would trap all that gas. That can't be good.

Back