The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

I made some mods to my fresh roast 500....MORE POWER! Some time ago I broke the glass chamber and had to by a replacement, I also bought a chamber extender (not shown here) that gave me an idea. I found an 8” hurricane lamp glass replacement that was a close enough fit (duct tape baby) and used the old chamber handle to rig up a full size roasting chamber. Compared to the chamber extender this little set up functions as good or better with emphasis on “or better”. The downside to more beans is more chaff. The original set up was barely able to handle the amount of chaff that was produced so I rigged up a chimney to blow the chaff off. The chimney has some wire screening to help keep beans in place but I need to tweak that more because I still get a too many beans accumulating at the top of the chimney as they roast nears completion.

Very Cool. I have been thinking about figuring out something to allow me to do larger batches if i want to as well as a cooling setup to dump the beans into to cool them down faster as well as remove any remaining chaff. If i figure anything interesting out I'll post it here for sure

Our power went out in the middle of the night so sadly my delay brew did not take. I didn't notice til getting ready to walk out the door.

So a stop at Starbucks and I tried the large cold brew. It was actually pretty darn good.

Our power went out in the middle of the night so sadly my delay brew did not take. I didn't notice til getting ready to walk out the door.

So a stop at Starbucks and I tried the large cold brew. It was actually pretty darn good.
The Nitro Cold brew is amazing. even with no sweetener.

The Nitro Cold brew is amazing. even with no sweetener.
I liked it too. I forget what drink I got but it wasn't called just a nitro cold brew...or maybe it was. it could have been a nitro white or some off the wall thing like that, it did have milk or foam but nothing else. (not even ice). I read something about nitro brew that said the nitrogen displaces oxygen during the brewing process so the oxygen doesn't ruin the flavor. Assuming oxygen ruins flavor the concept makes sense. Maybe I can use my helium tank to cold brew a better coffee... What do you think @uacowboy , got any ideas how I can rig up a helium injector?

I liked it too. I forget what drink I got but it wasn't called just a nitro cold brew...or maybe it was. it could have been a nitro white or some off the wall thing like that, it did have milk or foam but nothing else. (not even ice). I read something about nitro brew that said the nitrogen displaces oxygen during the brewing process so the oxygen doesn't ruin the flavor. Assuming oxygen ruins flavor the concept makes sense. Maybe I can use my helium tank to cold brew a better coffee... What do you think @uacowboy , got any ideas how I can rig up a helium injector?

I'm not UAcowboy but suspect you need about 3 flux capacitors

I am not sure about the helium tank itself but if you have a local beer homebrew shop they can probably set you up with something to do a keg(they have small ones) setup that uses nitro.

Well with the power blip yesterday in the middle of the night I should have known. I think it fried our machine. So now we are in the market for ANOTHER coffee maker. We like the occasional specialty drink but honestly I preferred method a pot of coffee, it makes it easier for the early mornings, especially because we can set the delay brew and then just fill our mug and leave for the day. But the extra features are nice for weekends. This is what we currently have been using but an older model https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Specia...562850806&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-6 it was nice but honestly it started acting up right after the warranty expired and we are thinking of something different. I would like to get more into true espresso for the weekends etc. and was looking at this https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-BCO...+coffee+maker&qid=1562849550&s=gateway&sr=8-8

anyone have any opinions or perhaps recommendations?

That's pretty cool. I just do manual coffee brewing methods since I'm generally the only one drinking it so I don't need a full pot.

I'm a totally manual coffee guy. French press. My stove is gas so it doesn't need electricity. And I froth my milk with a manual frother, not those fancy electric jobs. Unfortunately I do use electricity for the froth because after I work up the froth in the frother I pour it out and heat it up in the microwave. So much for my being a totally manual coffee guy. Ah, and I now realize I also need electricity for my grinder. I guess I need to get a manual grinder in case I lose power and still want some coffee. Cold froth wouldn't be such a great hardship.

Last edited:
Back