The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Well, I dunno what I got myself into. Love the new grinder. And for several days I was making Aeropress with different roast levels for my wife and me. Draw back is that only can do 11oz cups. We're more like 16oz at home and made a refill or two.

Got in the filters for the Chemex, which I was hesitant to use based on comments about the results, but it's pretty good. Given the pour-over kettle I have, 700ml is about the max brew that makes sense. And even with prewarming the mugs and the Chemex, the result could be hotter.

The Aeropress is my favorite in terms of results and ease of use, it's just the size limitation that hampers leisurely hours-long coffee drinking. Perfect for the office, but need more volume for home most times. This leads me back to the Breville Precision Brewer which would take advantage of using grinds from a better grinder, will bloom the coffee, and then brew into a thermo carafe. Then have Chemex as a smaller brewer for the evenings or just one person. The Aeropress is going back to the office when I do. And then I also think I need to try the V60 pour-over as that seems to be the gold standard.

Like I said, what did I get myself into?

To make a larger Aeropress amount, increase the concentration of the grounds to what you want (NEED might be a better word :unsure: ) and then top-up the mug with hot water from the kettle.

Last edited:
The V60 pour-over is my daily brewer for anywhere between 520 grams to 600 grams for work-day morning consumption and I have the AeroPress at work for a couple of cups in the afternoon. I also have the 3 cup version of the Chemex that I use on the occasion I want more than a cup but not as much as a typical work day brew.

To make a larger Aeropress amount, increase the concentration of the grounds to what you want (NEED might be a better word :unsure: ) and then top-up the mug with how water from the kettle.
Oh ya, I remember that's one of the original uses of the Aeropress. Add that to my list...

The V60 pour-over is my daily brewer for anywhere between 520 grams to 600 grams for work-day morning consumption and I have the AeroPress at work for a couple of cups in the afternoon. I also have the 3 cup version of the Chemex that I use on the occasion I want more than a cup but not as much as a typical work day brew.
What size of V60 do you use?

Wow This Rabbit Hole is Deep. Thanks Guy’s there is an Abundance amount of Information in this here Thread.

Question for the Masses.
Good Coffee Company’s ?
Don’t really want to Roast my own.
( Not there yet )

I haven't settled on a place other than I've used a local one that last few times. Guy is super nice, roasts per order and you decide on the roast level. And has a ton of choice, which I think is a bit too much if you're trying to decide on one bean, but great if you're experimenting I guess. It's https://berksbeans.com/

So, I wouldn't call this a total failure as it resulted in drinkable coffee. Though it was weak and as such lacked much complexity or flavor. Per Mr Wood, @woodpusher to his friends, I tried making the more concentrated brew from the Aeropress and then diluting the appropriate amount to end up with the correct coffee/water ratio in the end. I watch a video about brewing large amounts with the Aeropress and per that example, went for it. But this was at the far end of things and I used 60g of coffee and 900ml of water. There just really isn't enough space in the Aeropress to correctly brew 60g of coffee. Maybe if I waited longer than the standard 2 min?

It is also a little less than convenient if you want to be precise, that is doing things by weight. Given the lack of space after 60g of grounds were added, I only bloomed with 100g of water, and then could only add in another 100g for the brew. Had to do a deep stirring to get all the grounds suspended for that. After 2min this was then pressed, transferred into the Chemex, scale tared again and then 700g of water added.

I could see this technique coming into play if you wanted a 16oz cuppa instead of 10-11oz. And you were using volumetric measurements. In this fashion, one could just brew with whatever fits well, then dump the rest in your cup when you're done. In terms of larger volume, I think pour-over is better logistically.

Here's what 60g of grounds looks like in the Aeropress.
DE4FE401-D860-4D94-900F-490DDEA92DD9.jpeg

Back