The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

You can also have prescription lens inserts made for it so you don't have to wear glasses while you have it own. I can wear glasses with mine when I am not wearing contacts and its not really uncomfortable.
I was just thinking I have progressive lenses, so anything close I have to look through the bottom of my glasses. Maybe the dioptic adjustment would work.

Today was a change-up, as I tried one of my new coffees. Wife finished off her light roast beans.

Lesson learned today - you can be so distracted by monitoring the water level in the pour-over that you're not paying attention to how much water you're adding.

Lesson reinforced today - if you're drinking coffee for flavor, you can't drink it hot.

Today was a change-up, as I tried one of my new coffees. Wife finished off her light roast beans.

Lesson learned today - you can be so distracted by monitoring the water level in the pour-over that you're not paying attention to how much water you're adding.

Lesson reinforced today - if you're drinking coffee for flavor, you can't drink it hot.

I, for one, don’t like really hot coffee because I can’t taste it. Give me a very warm cup and I can taste everything.

1642859144272.gif

OK you coffee nerds (looking at you @NurseDave and @MarkB ) and you might as well bring @bosch and @OpusX witch their fancy shmancy coffee blends…..

I saw this in a YT video:

Then when I looked it up - apparently this is is a whole genre of coffee makers - what is this for? a mad scientist?

1642859083625.gif

One last thing - why don’t any of you have some highfalutin glasses like you do for your whisk(e)y? What - coffee gets no respect?

View attachment 73856

OK you coffee nerds (looking at you @NurseDave and @MarkB ) and you might as well bring @bosch and @OpusX witch their fancy shmancy coffee blends…..

Then when I looked it up - apparently this is is a whole genre of coffee makers - what is this for? a mad scientist?

View attachment 73855
I'd love to have one of those siphon brewers.. Alas, not enough counter space... :(

One last thing - why don’t any of you have some highfalutin glasses like you do for your whisk(e)y? What - coffee gets no respect?
I will have some now! Thanks! 🤩

View attachment 73856

View attachment 73855

"fancy" :coffee::p

I have a siphon brewer (Yama) for the stovetop. It works fine, but requires gentler handling and has a lot of clean up. I only find myself using it a few times per year. Think of it as Doctor Frankenstein’s version of a French Press, but producing a coffee with less body. The filter is much more effective at removing residual oils than the mesh in a regular French Press.

I have a siphon brewer (Yama) for the stovetop. It works fine, but requires gentler handling and has a lot of clean up. I only find myself using it a few times per year. Think of it as Doctor Frankenstein’s version of a French Press, but producing a coffee with less body. The filter is much more effective at removing residual oils than the mesh in a regular French Press.
So all that work for a less rich coffee? I thought the oils were what is desired to bring about the full flavor?

So all that work for a less rich coffee? I thought the oils were what is desired to bring about the full flavor?
The processes of French Press and Siphon are the same. Put hot water in grounds and soak for a few minutes, then separate the liquid from the grounds. Both processes get you to the same point. The body on the siphon brew is more like a drip brew, since the siphon uses a cheesecloth filter which traps the oils (like a paper filter). Less oils, less body. The metal mesh French Press lets everything through.

The processes of French Press and Siphon are the same. Put hot water in grounds and soak for a few minutes, then separate the liquid from the grounds. Both processes get you to the same point. The body on the siphon brew is more like a drip brew, since the siphon uses a cheesecloth filter which traps the oils (like a paper filter). Less oils, less body. The metal mesh French Press lets everything through.
From what I understand though the siphon brews can use different types of filters from cloth or paper to wire mesh so you could just use a different filter type for a richer flavor couldn't you....

Thanks my friend - I always learn something new on this site!

Back