The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

@MarkB don’t let @MilkCrate get to you - we coffee elites are here to stay - some people just don’t appreciate a fine cup of joe by filtering through a perfect grind. I was going to say his area of the country calls all carbonated drinks Coke instead of soda - then I realized that your neck if the woods does too. So, you’re both weirdos…and I will make my coffee using a burr grinder and my Ninja Coffee Bar making one cup at a time
not to mention... These coffee elites apparently like Sailing ship masts as well........... follow this :

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I decided to mix the coffee experience up and signed up for a subscription service called Trade, which sources all kinds of beans from roasters around the country. My first order is on the way. I have a whole slew of prep equipment from regular old drip to vacuum siphon, so trying some different software should spice things up.

I decided to mix the coffee experience up and signed up for a subscription service called Trade, which sources all kinds of beans from roasters around the country. My first order is on the way. I have a whole slew of prep equipment from regular old drip to vacuum siphon, so trying some different software should spice things up.

What mind of vacpot? I’ve been enjoying a yama for a couple of years on and off.
Okay you two so now what the heck is a vacpot? Is this some other gadgety thingy I'm gonna now have to get because you mentioned it ???

What mind of vacpot? I’ve been enjoying a yama for a couple of years on and off.
Okay so I just read...
And that is way more trouble than I want to go through in the morning to get coffee !! I think I will just stick to the other ways.....

Yeah it looks cool but also looks like it would be a PITA to do first thing in the morning right after getting up... It might be okay to do after I had coffee already but.....
The equipment is critical. I had some at the Starbucks Reserve when visiting Seattle and ordered a siphon coffee maker from Amazon after returning home.

My kitchen looked like a chemistry experiment but I could not duplicate the good brew. I think the key might have been the heating element. Since it was Amazon, they were glad to take it back and I returned to my Aeropress which always made good coffee.

I now use a Saeco superautomatic as the convenience can’t be beat.

I don’t use mine first thing in the morning either (except maybe on the weekend). It can be fussy. I’ve been following the process laid out at Blue Bottle Coffee’s website, and it works pretty well. I haven’t done it enough to have a foolproof method that works for me yet. I need to play with the grind and amounts of coffee and water in the pot. I use the digital kitchen scale to weigh everything out (even the water….1 gram of water is 1 milliliter). Since I’m working remotely, I have time to mess around with the coffee during the day.

My siphon bac setup is pretty simple. I boil the water in a kettle, grind the beans, measure the water into base on light gas stove top, put top on with filter, let the water rise, add beans, wait 30s, light stir, brew another minute, take off heat, 30-40 sec coffee drop to bottom and done.

My auto drip was having problems, so the vac was getting a whole lot of use lately.

Welp, the pour-over worked well. BUT I'm not certain of the audience for this. I calculated I can get 26 cups of coffee from a pound of beans using the Aeropress. These little things cost in the neighborhood of $2. So certainly much more expensive than just using beans and the Aeropress. So maybe when you're traveling or something it would be much easy to take something like this? I think the quality of the coffee is as good as when I use the aeropress. But you also have to have something that will hold hot water and pour accurately enough to do a slow pour. So maybe if I didn't have space for all my coffee stuff at work? Also, I realized as I was halfway done with my pour that I need to use the bigger mugs since the filter/grounds part sits so far down into the mug.

Another update. Over the weekend I finally fixed the handle to my coffee grinder. I had to spend about $2.50 on $0.06 worth of a tiny bolt, nut, and two washers, but it's back in action. But now I've really gotten spoiled by not having to stand there and grind the dose for the morning brew....

Three scoops of ground :eek: Peet's Major Dickason's Blend brewed in a Bonavita pour over coffee maker gets this old boy started every morning. I don't like to brag, the coffee maker gets cleaned every two years whether it needs it or not. The insulated carafe has a much more intense cleaning schedule - every 3 or 4 months. :LOL:

I consumed a few thousands gallons of free Folger's and Maxwell House coffee in my 30 plus workin' years in a plant setting. I won't turn down a free cup of coffee, and my Mr. Coffee, K-Cup, and Bunn certifications are current. I guess this makes me a connoisseur. :coffee:

I also have a French Press and a small hand grinder that gets infrequent use. I like the Day Tripper beans sold by a local roaster.

Back