The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

So after asking a few basic questions on last weeks Zoom call about coffee making and promptly being coffee shamed for my current set up 😉 , I thought I would look into better options. Plus, I really need another hobby, lol.
So I have done some research and picked out some stuff. Here is what I have picked out to get started. What are your thoughts or other recommendations? 20210322_113819.jpg

So after asking a few basic questions on last weeks Zoom call about coffee making and promptly being coffee shamed for my current set up 😉 , I thought I would look into better options. Plus, I really need another hobby, lol.
So I have done some research and picked out some stuff. Here is what I have picked out to get started. What are your thoughts or other recommendations? View attachment 49605

So I have done some research and picked out some stuff. Here is what I have picked out to get started. What are your thoughts or other recommendations? View attachment 49605
The Aeropress is cheaper at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond.

As far as bang for the buck, the Aeropress can’t be beat. I would buy the paper aeropress filters rather than the metal. They are cheap and provide for a very clean brew with minimal environmental impact. I’ve never used a manual coffee grinder but had excellent success with a Baratza Encore for my Aeropress grind. That being said, I have been using a Saeco Superautomatic for the last 2.5 years and cannot beat the convenience and quality. One caution is that you cannot use oily beans in a superautomatic.

Gerry: Hey guys so what's your coffee game like? I only do K cups and add enough cream that it's really milk.
the Guys: Gerry Come on!
Gerry: Well what do you recommend
Guys: Well anything is better than a K cup.
Gerry:
Best Headfirst GIFs | Gfycat

Gerry: Hey guys so what's your coffee game like? I only do K cups and add enough cream that it's really milk.
the Guys: Gerry Come on!
Gerry: Well what do you recommend
Guys: Well anything is better than a K cup.
Gerry:
Best Headfirst GIFs | Gfycat

LMAO!!! not exactly how I remember it, but I am impressed that you got that close. Roasting and grinding my own will save me money though, right? 🤣

As far as bang for the buck, the Aeropress can’t be beat. I would buy the paper aeropress filters rather than the metal. They are cheap and provide for a very clean brew with minimal environmental impact. I’ve never used a manual coffee grinder but had excellent success with a Baratza Encore for my Aeropress grind. That being said, I have been using a Saeco Superautomatic for the last 2.5 years and cannot beat the convenience and quality. One caution is that you cannot use oily beans in a superautomatic.
I totally agree about the paper filters rather than metal. The paper filters can also be rinsed, dried and reused without any issue. I read about reusing the filters shortly after buying my first aeropress several years ago. The inventor of the aeropress stated in the article I read that his intention was to reuse paper filters to reduce waste. I treat the filters kind of like using DE blades until they are no longer serviceable. I get at least 20 brew cycles per filter before they tear and I throw them out.
As for grinders, I bought an inexpensive hand crank style grinder at the same time I bought my aeropress and it works great to dial in the right size grind.

@SM29 Yeah, I keep running across the Baratza grinder while researching, but it is above my price point at this time. Do you have a link for the Saeco Superautomatic grinder? All I could find was $500 - $1500 Superautomatic Espresso machines. I did find a Phillips Saeco Grinder on Eday - used for $45. Is this what you have?
1616456971029.png

Back