The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Still want a moka pot.
I forgot what a moka pot was and had to look it up and after realizing what it was i remembered i had one.. I have only used it a couple of times because they are not very friendly with the smooth top stoves... If you ever go into thrift stores they usually have 3 or 4 of them lying around for only a couple of dollars !! I think I paid like a dollar and fifty cents for mine....... I didnt get very good coffee with mine when i used it so after seeing your post im gonna have to try it again....

I forgot what a moka pot was and had to look it up and after realizing what it was i remembered i had one.. I have only used it a couple of times because they are not very friendly with the smooth top stoves... If you ever go into thrift stores they usually have 3 or 4 of them lying around for only a couple of dollars !! I think I paid like a dollar and fifty cents for mine....... I didnt get very good coffee with mine when i used it so after seeing your post im gonna have to try it again....
Yea I know they are easy to get cheap... They are hard to master. My understanding is it makes it a very strong cup of coffee. Popular with Italians. And I think it technically is espresso, but could be wrong there. Next time I'm at a thrift store I'll pick one up.

Yea I know they are easy to get cheap... They are hard to master. My understanding is it makes it a very strong cup of coffee. Popular with Italians. And I think it technically is espresso, but could be wrong there. Next time I'm at a thrift store I'll pick one up.
mine wasnt a very strong cup of coffee from what i remember.. I might have used the wrong type of grind though.

Moka Pot is a strong cup of coffee, but not quite espresso. i think they generally only get to a couple Bar of pressure and i think 9 is the minimum to technically be espresso.

Uses a slightly coarser grind than you would for espresso and don't tamp it down much, just enough to level it. They work very similar to a percolator but the water moves up through the coffee and collects in the top instead of falling back into the bottom with the water. Once it starts sputtering and hissing it is done. and for smooth top stoves i just set it at the edge of a burner so the bottom is in full contact with the heated area but the handle is over a cool area. Biggest issue for me was if you wanted more than 1 cup at a time. i only have a small one that makes about 1 cup of coffee(the weird 4oz version of a cup that is only used for coffee and makes no friggin sense). if you want another you have to wait for the whole thing to cool off before you can take it apart to clean and reset it. that being said i have no idea how the bigger ones work if you only wanted a single cup.

Yup, Kyle has it right. Moka pot coffee is MUCH more robust that drip, perc or french press, but is not classed as espresso (3 bar compared to 9-15 bar). He's correct on the grind and tamping for Moka pot as well.

With a Moka pot, you have to use the full amount of coffee or it will not work properly (pressure issue). If you want to make anothe pot, run some cold water over the pot; that's how I undo the base to clean right after pouring the coffee.

Makes me wonder ... If he's so smart, why did he do what he did in the weight loss thread (as reported by his wife)? :unsure:

Last edited:
Stirling Brazil - fresh ground into a drip machine.

Single note of cocoa. Very mild and not complex. Easy drinker, a bit too thin without much interest.

Stirling Honduras - fresh ground into drip machine

Again, a note of cocoa. A bit more body and a touch of a sweet undernote. Lingering aftertaste.

Stirling Sumatra - fresh ground into a drip machine.

This is the best of the three Stirling coffees we’ve had. Though I noted that they all. Had similar taste profiles. All with a heart of cacao, but likely it’s what I picked because I steer away from the citrus forward coffees. This one is a bit richer with a bit of earth and leather.

well shoot. now i wanna try one for work! lol
I know , right !! The whole thing looks like it would fit in an overcoat pocket.. get a small tin ( I was thinking a large altoids or solid tube tin ) and put ground coffee in it and you're good to go.. being it would be strong you could probably dilute it into a full regular strength cup of coffee and the tin would hold enough for multiple scoops of ground coffee...

I know , right !! The whole thing looks like it would fit in an overcoat pocket.. get a small tin ( I was thinking a large altoids or solid tube tin ) and put ground coffee in it and you're good to go.. being it would be strong you could probably dilute it into a full regular strength cup of coffee and the tin would hold enough for multiple scoops of ground coffee...
Looks like many of them advertise true espresso pressure+ so adding water after just gives you an americano. looks very easy to take where ever.

Back