The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

So i tried something new with my last roast and so far it seems to have worked pretty well. Instead of using the perforated roasting pan like i normally do i grabbed my carbon steel wok. my goal was to see how well it would work for roasting a full pound all at once. the wok is kinda heavy and poorly balanced to keep it moving for the whole roast like the little pan so i grabbed a wood spatula and used that to stir the beans around during the roast and only gave the pan an occasional shake to help move things around. i got to my normal level of roast in just a bit more time than usual, i suspect this is in part from the added mass and also from the lack of perforation of the steel, and did not have any scorching issues. i wiped the wok down really well beforehand to make sure there was no oil residue from the last time i used and cleaned it so no off flavors there( tried using a cast iron skillet one time and you could taste the oil i used to season it, and it was not good).

the biggest issue i had was that after the roast was done, all the chaff that normally falls out the holes in the small pan was still mixed into the beans and had to be removed. that was kind of a pain but i have some ideas that i might try and see if i can figure out and easy fix for that.
Leaf Blower GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Don't think i haven't considered it. but that is not exactly a cheap option just for this. lol

Think of all the uses you would get beyond just coffee here i'll list some,

chase the dogs
chase the chickens
chase the kids
blow trash in rude neighbors yard
create a ghost during halloween
scare your wife when she walks out of a room (have escape route planned in advance)

i'm sure there's more!

So i tried something new with my last roast and so far it seems to have worked pretty well. Instead of using the perforated roasting pan like i normally do i grabbed my carbon steel wok. my goal was to see how well it would work for roasting a full pound all at once. the wok is kinda heavy and poorly balanced to keep it moving for the whole roast like the little pan so i grabbed a wood spatula and used that to stir the beans around during the roast and only gave the pan an occasional shake to help move things around. i got to my normal level of roast in just a bit more time than usual, i suspect this is in part from the added mass and also from the lack of perforation of the steel, and did not have any scorching issues. i wiped the wok down really well beforehand to make sure there was no oil residue from the last time i used and cleaned it so no off flavors there( tried using a cast iron skillet one time and you could taste the oil i used to season it, and it was not good).

the biggest issue i had was that after the roast was done, all the chaff that normally falls out the holes in the small pan was still mixed into the beans and had to be removed. that was kind of a pain but i have some ideas that i might try and see if i can figure out and easy fix for that.
That a real cowboy move there Kyle

Had the ole Moka Java from Dean's Beans this weekend. It was a bit too fruit-forward for me. The notes are blueberry, buttery, earthly. I got a bit more of tart cherry, or small red berry. Berry notes in coffee come across a bit tangy for me.

Having Uprising! Breakfast Blend from Dean this morning in the aeropress knock-off. Notes for this are lively, sweet, smooth. Note that none of those are actual flavors. It's easier drinking to me than the Moka Java, but a bit on the thin size flavorwise and still with some berry tang. Curious to try of the ones with a chocolate note to them.

Today was Ring of Fire by Dean's Beans. This one is a winner for me. Manually ground and in an aeropress for 25 seconds. Flavor notes were full-bodied/bold/dark chocolate. Again I'll point out that only one of those is a flavor. No spiky tart or sour on this one. I could see buying several pounds of it.

i grabbed my carbon steel wok.
My original roaster was basically a wok with two steel arms to stir, and a vented lid. The chaff was a nuisance, but after emptying into a steel bowl and setting that in cold water for rapid cooling, stirring and blowing on the beans got rid of it. It's all good, whatever roasts to your desired level.

It was a Roasting Sunday in the '57 household.
629F2BA8-749E-4109-AE08-415DCA905A25_1_201_a.jpeg
First lb was Burundi (Africa) Kirimiro Bourbon, for which I used presets taking it just into second crack. Second was Costa Rican, to which I added two minutes for a darker roast, well into second crack.

D1534069-BD84-4771-B826-7F711C67C273_1_201_a.jpeg
AF39B299-320E-434B-8A5D-C9AA0BD61096_1_201_a.jpeg
The Burundi especially interests me for its flavor profile; it will likely be the first I try later this week, the the Costa Rican intrigues me as well. These came with the roaster purchase. I'll probably roast every couple of weeks to keep well supplied with fresh coffee.

Today's roast:
74063DBE-8CA1-4426-9BF8-7E0D922630CC_1_201_a.jpeg
Jumpstart is a mixture of Arabica and Robusta beans, giving it a 20 or 30% stronger caffeine kick, depending on what your read. Melange is a mixture of the three roasts that overfilled the mason jars. It'll be ready Tuesday, but since I'm going for a root canal Tuesday morning, it'll have to wait till at least Wednesday, I suppose.

Back